1

Nox suspected something was wrong when something round, green, and leafy sailed towards him and smacked him in the face.

"Agh!" Nox reeled back as the vegetable plopped to the ground with a ripe crunch.

What the—

"Duck!" Someone shouted, and at the same time something — a hand?— gripped his shoulder and pulled him to the ground. He fell on his rump on the cobblestone ground, adding his behind to the list of sore places at the moment. Above him, some sort of winged person just narrowly missed crashing into them and instead disappeared somewhere else in the masses.

He rapidly glanced around, trying to see what was happening, his vision still blurry around the edges from acclimation. There before him was... a redhead, with startling green eyes. Those very eyes were rapidly glancing around before they turned to him. "Are you able to walk?" she asked with a definite sense of urgency.

His mouth opened and closed like a codfish a couple of times before he found his words. "Well, I've just had a cabbage thrown at my head—"

"That's good enough for me," the redhead cut him off, reaching down and grabbing his hand with an iron grip. She bolted to her black-booted feet, pulling Nox along with her.

Nox had barely enough time to register his surroundings before the woman was dragging him through the angry crowds, thousands of people arguing and fighting. More than just vegetables went sailing through the air, and Nox grimaced as a dagger skimmed his nose by an inch and impaled itself into a massive blue-stone wall. Glancing around, he realized that the ivy-coated wall completely encircled them, with four evenly placed gates making for the only way out.

He didn't think to resist as the woman led him towards one of those said gates. Constantly he had to duck and twist to avoid getting caught between a brawl or speared, and he relied on the redhead to weave them around the chaos.

Finally they reached the gate, and just a few seconds later they were through it. All around them people surged like water though a box full of holes out the gates, blindly running into the mass of trees that lay ahead.

Nox was perfectly ready to join them when a sharp, painful tug on his arm had him being dragged off another way. He found himself crossing the stampede of people towards the outer wall of the place they had just left. 

Dodging one last panicked person, they broke free of the surge and were racing along the base of the outside wall. Nox sucked in the fresh air with relish, but his breaths were short as the woman still hadn't released his hand, and they continued to race so fast that he was certain he was going to trip over his own feet. Yet by some miracle, he didn't.