18

His head and body hurt like the dickens, but Nox was fairly certain he was alive

His head and body hurt like the dickens, but Nox was fairly certain he was alive. Ninety-three percent sure. Maybe ninety-two.

The eternal darkness that surrounded him wasn't all that reassuring.

Yet still, he could feel. He brushed his hand against the rough, cold ground— like stone. He also had the vague sensation that water was dripping on him from somewhere above. He couldn't make out if any walls surrounded him, but he didn't dare explore too far.

The last thing he could remember was falling... Falling down into foggy black... And hitting the ground, a flash of pain and then he was out. He had no way of knowing how long had passed since then, and the line between him being asleep and awake felt blurred. He hoped that this was a bad dream that he would wake up from, yet it all felt too real to be a nightmare.

"Nox..." He heard Bleidd's voice from somewhere in the dark.

Nox scrambled to his feet, sending flashes of pain through his bad arm. "I'm here! I'm alive, I think!" He called. "Where are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm over here, with Zola! Im really sorry Nox, we were falling and I could sort of brake the fall with my wings so I bit into the back of her armor to try and lessen her fall as well... I couldn't help you both..."

As Bleiddwyn spoke, Nox followed the omega's voice until his foot caught on something soft and fleshy— Zola's body. Tentatively he sat down beside her and felt her chest, and was relieved to feel a gentle rise and fall. "It's okay, Bleidd. I'm glad you softened her fall. In her condition who knows what hitting her head again might do," he comforted.

Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder, and he turned to see scarlet eyes faintly glowing at him through the dark. He recognized them as Bleiddwyn's. "What are we going to do, Nox?" The boy whimpered. "Even I can't see down here. My eyes need at least some light to be able to see, but here there's just no light."

"I..." He chewed on his lip. "I don't know," Nox admitted. How did they end up in such a downright awful situation? All of them were injured in some form or another, stuck at the bottom of a really deep dark hole who knows where. All, except... "Did you see Eliza fall in?" He asked, but then promptly called out. "Eliza! Are you down here too?"

No response.

"I didn't see her when we were falling," Bleiddwyn murmured. "Maybe she didn't fall in?" There was a rustling as Nox assumed the boy rose to his feet. "I could transform again, fly up there and try to find her. She might be able to help us, and if anything I could tell her that we are alive."

"No, Bleidd," Nox said as he too stood. "You literally just got your wings. It can't possibly be safe for you to now try and fly out of this place, especially when we can't even see. You could collide into a ceiling or wall and never know it was there, and you could injure yourself if you got too high and fell again. We are lucky that we didn't die from the first fall!"