12

Eliza feared that she was falling asleep on her feet as she marched through the withered woods in the crisp dawn.

In retrospect, a sleep-in might have been nice.

Zola, however, was unfortunately persistent on waking them up. The process had involved a nudge, then a book thrown at them, and finally a jab with the butt of her spear.

That last one'd had Bleidd changing into a wolf. He still hadn't changed back yet, casting resentful glares at the knight as he tiredly trailed at Nox's heels, dragging his white paws through the earth.

It was all Eliza could do to watch her feet and make sure that she didn't trip over the withered plants and twisted roots. Her shield felt twice as heavy on her arm, and she wished that she had some more efficient method of carrying it.

Nox led the way, being the only one who knew where the spider's cave was other than the werewolf. Zola followed right behind him, leaving Eliza at the back of the line.

She didn't mint that. With any luck the others wouldn't notice her exhaustion.

Her stomach twinged with hunger, and she felt the sandy dryness of her throat and tongue even further. She tried not to think too much about the fact that her previous meal and drink was the day before last— she didn't want to complain. Especially considering that Nox and Zola most likely hadn't eaten or drank at all since this whole thing began. I wonder if Nox's Vampirism affects that at all... She recalled that she was going to help him figure out his skills at some point. Maybe he's made some progress on his own...

"Hey, No—" Her voice was interrupted by an onslaught of coughing driven by the dryness of her throat. "Sorry."

Zola glanced back at her, and unhitched a gourd with a skinny neck of some sort from a woven-grass band around her waist. The knight paused and handed it towards her. "You thirsty?"

Eliza frowned at the gourd. "Is that... Water? Did you have that all along?"

"Yes," the knight answered simply with a cock of her head.

She blinked, low frustration building in her. "And you didn't care to mention that till now?"

Zola shrugged. "You never asked."

Eliza responded by snatching the water gourd from Zola. She tipped the neck to her mouth, letting the cool, clean water run down her throat and dribble down the sides of her mouth. The first sip stung her throat from its previous dryness, but then it smoothed out and became bliss. She would have liked to drink all of it, but she cut herself short after just a few gulps. Who knew when they would come across fresh water? Wiping away the water on her face, she glanced to Zola. "Thank you," she murmured.