4

Five thousand competitors had been dumped into this arena

They had been given maps, teams, and a lucky few even had weapons.

They had been told that they could kill each other, and whatever else may come their way.

They hadn't been told how to beat the floor.

Eliza stared down at her map in frustration, standing in the middle of the beautiful forest side of the arena. Nowhere on the map could she find some sort of obvious "go here and defeat some sort of challenge to move on to the next floor" place. From this she deduced that this wasn't the sort of tournament where one had to get from one place to the other. And despite the ability to kill other competitors, the goal was to reach the thirteenth floor, not be the last one standing.

She just wasn't sure how to get past the first floor.

Exasperated, she took off in a random direction, eyes glued to the map. With nothing but the same trees and flowers and plants for all around, it was hard to figure out where in the beautiful-yet-dangerous, or light side of the map, she was.

It didn't help her mood that she, at that moment, tripped over a rock and landed herself face-first into a tree trunk.

Pinpricks of pain shot through her face as the rough bark scraped her forehead and left cheek. In her attempt to save herself from the fall with her hands, she ended up with her palms loaded with splinters.

Eliza pushed herself away from the tree, groaning. She glared at it, the cheery green leaves dancing in the sweet-scented wind as if mocking her. "Why thank you, mr. Tree," she complained to the plant, "I so very much needed to admire you up close."

At that point, as if in response, the tree just happened to receive a particularly jostling breeze through it's canopy, and an over-ripe orange fell from the top. It fell to Eliza's boots and splattered all over, throughly coating them in orange and green muck.

She kicked out her legs in disgust, trying to shake off the sticky remains. "Thank you, so very much, Mr. Tree. I really needed that!"

The tree chose— wisely in Eliza's opinion— not to offend her further.

"I see that you and the tree are having an argument."

Eliza whirled around, startled by the oddly familiar voice. "Zola!" She exclaimed.

Indeed, the knight stood there leaning against a tree, a smile playing across her lips. "I hope that I'm not interrupting."

Eliza gave a brief chuckle. "It's— it's not important." She shook her head in awe. "But— Zola, how did you even find me?"

Zola furrowed her brow in confusion. "I used the map. You can ask it to locate others on your team." She pulled a slip of paper out from some pocket she had in her pale fur armor. "I have been tracking you since the dragon attack this morning. You kept going further and further away, so it took a while to reach you." The knight unfolded her map and held it out to Eliza.