12. Umngeni

C H A P T E R  T W E L V E
' Umngeni '
Challenge

W'Kabi had led the two into the throne room shortly after Erik had been secured with chains

W'Kabi had led the two into the throne room shortly after Erik had been secured with chains. T'Challa was anxiously waiting the return of Zoya, along with Ramonda and Shuri.

They made it to the hallway of the throne room without any trouble. Erik was silently staring at the building, reminding Zoya of the first time she was here. The cloth in her mouth was uncomfortable, no one had taken it off of her in fear of a guard would lose track of Erik, then he would surely find a way murder them.

She heard the low conversations of the elders and royals. The doors split open and she walked through first, running to the throne as quick as she could. There stood T'Challa with a grin on his face. He pushed himself off the vibranium throne and spread his arms. The girl crashed into them, immediately wrapping her arms around him. "I have missed you so, uthando." He spoke as he held her closer, almost purring in satisfaction of seeing her face again.

When she didn't speak he grew suspicious. T'Challa spotted the cloth from her mouth and with a gentle tug it released the hold. "I missed you too, My love." My love. T'Challa thought, she loves me too. He took no notice to all of the faces watching him as he gently pressed his lips to hers. A soft touch that was barely there, he was experimenting.

She pulled back and winked. "Not the time." The king finally took note to the people watching him. His mother stood with a smile, and his sister smirked. He grew serious. "Speak." He commanded to the soldier. Zoya stood next to him watching with wary eyes.

"I'm standing in your house, serving justice to a man who murdered your people and stole your vibranium... just as your king couldn't deliver."

T'Challa got up from his throne and walked towards the Murderer. Zoya stared as he got close into the face of Erik. "I do not care that you killed Klaue, the only reason that I don't kill you where you stand is because I know who you are."

"Now what do you want?" T'Challa took a step back. Zoya walked towards Shuri smiling at her in a greeting, while on her way bowing to Ramonda. "I want the throne." Zoya stopped in her tracks. The mining tribe leader laughed outrageously. "You?" She laughed loudly.

"Y'all living up her comfortable, must feel good. There's about 2 million people like us, their lives are a lot harder. Wakanda has the tools to liberate them all." He smirked.

"And what tools are those?" T'Challa asked in a stiff voice.

"Vibranium. The weapons."

Zoya stared in shock at the criminal. T'Challa spoke in a stern voice to the revengeful man. "Our weapons are not used to wage war in the world, it is not our way to be judge, jury, and executioner for people who are not our own."

"Not your own? But didn't their lives start right here on this continent? So aren't all people your people?"

Zoya improvised. "He is not the king of all people, he is the king of Wakanda. It is his job to protect the people and vibranium of Wakanda." T'Challa nodded in an agreement.

Ramonda placed her hand on the Queen's shoulders. "Son, we have tolerated this for too long, reject his request."

Erik turned his attention to the Queen Mother. "I ain't requesting anything, ask who I am." He demanded and Zoya clicked her vest, turning it into the single sided spear.

"Watch how you speak!" Zoya spoke for the Queen Mother. "Feisty, I find that hot. Ask me who I am, Buhari." She narrowed her eyes. "Your Erik Stevens! An American Operative, known as the name Killmonger." Shuri spoke out loud. "That's not my name princess!"

He quickly drew his attention back to T'Challa. "Ask me."

"No." T'Challa spoke with no quiver in his voice. It was sharp like a sword. "Take him away." Guards approached Killmonger, most likely taking him to a cell. The king walked back to his throne.

"Who are you?!" The river elder spoke. As quick as crashing lighting, Erik spoke. "My name is N'Jadaka! Son of N'Jobu!"

Zoya gasped out loud as she touched T'Challa's shoulder lightly. She only heard of N'Jobu through old stories T'Challa told and the glowing fairy like lanterns. "You're lying! Lies." Ramonda spoke, outraged.

"I'm afraid not, Queen Mother." W'Kabi spoke from the sidelines. He held up the ring passed down to the heirs of the thrones. The rings once belonging to T'Chaka and N'Jobu. Ramonda held her hand out and the ring was placed. She examined the ring as Erik smirked at the other queen in the room. "Hey Auntie." Zoya growled from the disrespect in the air.

T'Challa caught on to the stare and glared at the man. He placed his hand on Zoya's waist pulling her closer to his warm body. "He is the son of N'Jobu, it is in his rights." The mining tribe spoke. "He has no rights!"

"The ceremony will take weeks to prepare."

Erik spoke once more, "weeks? I don't need weeks, the whole country ain't gotta be there, just him."

Ramonda passed the ring to T'Challa, "do not do this T'Challa." She pleaded.

Zoya looked at the king with a pleading look. She just managed to see T'Challa again, she couldn't lose him once more. "I accept your challenge."

"See you when I win, My Queen." Erik bowed and smiled as he turned on his heel. "The ceremony will begin in twenty minutes, at the falls." T'Challa called out. "T'Challa you can't!"

"It is my duty as king to accept. Just know that I love you, my sweet queen." He pressed his lips to hers once more. "May the ancestors watch over you."

He nodded and collected his sword and shield. The couple approached the falls as T'Challa spoke with Shuri and Ramonda. He approached Zoya one last time, "You are the true king, T'Challa." She pressed her hand to his cheek and he leaned into the touch.

He faced Erik. "Let the challenge begin!" Zuri called and Zoya let out a shaky breath.