16. Utata

C H A P T E R  S I X T E E N
' Utata '
' Father '
IDRIS ELBA AS KHARI BUHARI

C H A P T E R  S I X T E E N ' Utata ' ' Father 'IDRIS ELBA AS KHARI BUHARI

"What is it to be a hero? Look in the mirror and you shall see."
♛♛♛

"Dad?"

Zoya stared in shock, partly imagining the man she had never seen except in dusty pictures on the walls of the kingdom.

He looked quite different from the pictures on the walls, his hair grew thinner and a little more grey, his face had littered whiskers that surrounded a beard.

"Hello, daughter." He said as he released the rhino from the force field. The creature settled. A tear escaped the eye of Zoya and drifted down her already tear stained cheeks. "H-How?"

Her knees buckled and she fell to the ground. She had been through so much in the length of thirty minutes. "I'll explain later." He said as he approached his daughter slowly.

"Mom thought you were dead." Her voice broke. "It was in my best intention to keep myself hidden, you have to believe me." He begged as he helped his daughter onto her two feet once more. War was no longer surrounding the kingdom, the border tribe had accepted defeat and surrendered. The air grew silent and the divided people watched her.

Her smile was the first thing Khari had seen on her face and the next thing he knew warm arms slung around his neck. "Welcome home." Her voice wavered slightly above a whisper. Khari stood still for a blink of a moment before holding his daughter around her middle. His full grown daughter, who he had never seen since today. Her beauty had shocked him, she was just like her mother, and he had only seen his daughters physical appearance, but Khari had no doubt that Zoya's heart was just like her mother's.

"Go the King may still be in trouble, I shall be here when you return." His voice spoke calmly, like a steady patter of raindrops, calming her mood. Her head nodded and she ran to the port-hole. "T'Challa!" Her voice boomed down the seemingly bottomless pit. Zoya could only see the near glint of tracks for the trolleys and trains to rush by. No trains seemed to be moving so with a wavering breath she climbed downwards on the stairs.

"T'Challa?" Her voice questioned. Once she reached the bottom of the stairs, slightly winded and wondering why they didn't have a elevator, Zoya examined her surroundings.

Her feet led her to a puddle in the middle of the room, a red puddle. Her mind immediately went to the worst case scenario. She took off in a sprint carrying her newly transformed spear in her hand, ready to attack.

"T'Challa!" Her voice boomed in an urgent tone. Her feet ran her towards the blinding light of the outdoors, the sun was beginning to sink beyond the horizon.