Chp. 2

(Alberta, Canada)

Before we reached her mansion, Xena had transformed back into me, returning to the darkest corner of my mind. I flew through the air with my wings still out, thankful that Xena had actually lent me control.

Upon landing, I was greeted by her three bitches: David, Katie, and Nico. They were all adorned in black, matching for their master. It sickened me seeing them like that. They were once strong and respectable, but now they could barely make a decision without the approval of their master. They had all changed for that heartless bitch.

My wings retracted into my body, leaving my jacket and shirt torn along my back.

We walked through the halls of her luxurious mansion until we got to the west wing, from there we took an elevator down to her office.

The entrance looked like a torture chamber and being down there always creeped me out. Pushing the doors open, her minions stayed behind while I advanced into the hallway. I had been there over a thousand times so they lost the need to take me any further.

Continuing down the hall, I came upon grand white double doors and pushed them open. A dark silhouette leaned against the window watching out over the deck, not paying me any attention. I took a few steps over to a plush chair and plopped down, not bothering to speak.

"Saying hi could get you somewhere." Her angelic voice echoed off the window and attacked my ears. She shook her head at my silence; I just wanted my reward so I could leave.

"It's a shame that Inshov didn't listen... he would have made a perfect pawn, but that's the past. Great job on eliminating loose ends, love."

While she was talking, I was making my way to the door. I didn't want to hear her nonsense of a good job for killing a man. I picked up a bag laid by a table for me and continued out the door.

"You know, for a person who has been my slave for eternities, I'd think that you would want more information regarding your freedom." She said with her hip cocked to the side, making me stop and spin in her direction.

"I am NOT your slave. I'm just indebted to you. Don't get the two confused or you will regret it. Second I am well aware of how many jobs I have left before I am free." Her confident posture and smile quickly faded and anger replaced them. " Now do you or do you not have a job for me? If not shut the hell up and don't talk to me until you have one."

Her golden eyes shined bright from anger as they pierced into my soul, yet she stayed silent. I scoffed and turned around, slinging the duffel bag over my shoulder, and made my way back outside. Once I opened the doors to get on the elevator, the three stooges surrounded me, obviously angry from my attitude towards their 'lover'. I stood right in the middle of them the whole ride up and they kept eyeing me viscously like I was a threat to every creature in this world, which was semi accurate.

Fresh air hit my face as I hopped off the balcony into the darkness thousands of feet below. My wings tore through my flesh and thrust forward before I could connect with the ground, inches away from my face.

"I'm taking over" Xena declared, taking me by surprise and dominating my consciousness. Unable to fight back, I just let it happen and fell asleep. Xena wouldn't let any harm come upon us and if she needed me, I would know.

****

(Minnesota, U.S.)

Silence was my best friend. I slept, talked, and bathed in it. No one nor thing knew me better than it did. My flat was encased in silence. My hallways were silent along with my rooms. My television never made a sound, even when it was on. Everything was always silent.