Chapter 8

"So did you read it?" Vincent asked excited.

They were all now sitting at the Three Broomsticks conversing what had just happened. Pandora and Vincent had their own theories of Dumbledore's odd requests after their friends told them the story.

"Of course they didn't that would have been disrespectful," Pandora scolded the tall boy before shooting a questioning look at Maurice and Constance.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Maurice confirmed while Constance stayed quiet looking at her Butterbeer. "Although I'm pretty sure professor Slughorn would have loved to see that."

Vincent chuckled before shaking his head at the thought of the potions master,"That old gossip girl."

Pandora shook her head although even that couldn't conceal her slight amusement.

Vince leaned into his chair while he spoke,"Look all I am saying is the man clearly stated he had a full living room of letters probably not so different from this one. Would it really hurt to let you have this one?"

Pandora could only glare at the boy while Maurice gave himself a face palm.

"And if Dumbledore needs to talk to this Aberforth so urgently why doesn't he just show up at his door insted of wasting all that preciouse paper?" Vince added as an afterthought.

Pandora and Maurice were just about ready to say something when they realised Vince's words weren't as meaningless as they first thought.

"Wait a second, Winnie actually has a point. The two are practically related. They are brothers for Merlin's sake," Pandora exclaimed while Maurice nodded in agreement.

"They had a big argument years ago," Constance suddenly piped up. "And they hadn't talked since."

The group now turned their attention to the fair haired girl blankly staring at her drink before she looked up.

"How do you know that?"Pandora asked observing her friend intently.

Realising what she had said the girl seemed to shrug into herself in discomfort.

She may have been brave at the Inn, but that bravery vanished quite quickly. She talked to Aberforth in such a mannor because she felt like she already knew him. Not only was the man Albus Dumbledore's brother, he was also the man J. F. had described in her diary.

After their first unpleasant encounter things seemed to get better between the two. J learnt not to give into Aberforth's moodiness or his harsh way of speaking and actually developed a way of her own. She spoke to him bravely without being mean and actually managed to break that defiance of his sometimes.

That was exactly how Constance decided to speak to him. She spoke like J. would have. At least she hoped so. But how could she now tell her friends that she found out about the argument through a secret diary that had been given to her as a gift from a person she had no clue of their identity.

"Con?" Vince asked as the three continued to stare at her.

"I think I read it somewhere," the girl answered. "I don't really remember where."

The three friends stared a few moments longer before simply shrugging it off. "Well I still find it a tad odd," Pandora finished while others only nodded in agreement before moving on to different topics.

***

After an hour of laughing and drinking Butterbeer the group finally decided it was time to leave Hogsmeade and head back to the castle. However Constance didn't agree so when they stepped out the door she made an excuse. "You shoud head on without me. I'm just going to get some Bertie Botts every flavoured beans. I promised Jules."

Pandora nodded with slight hesitation and left with the guys afterwords.

***

"Did you fix that problem of yours yet?" Deidra asked walking into the living room with a trey in hand.

"Huh?" Constance became confused for a second before remembering her last visit. "Ah yes that problem." Now she thought back to her talk with Regulus, she knew not everything was as it used to be, but somehow the thought of the boy made her smile. "It'll take time, but I am certain it will get solved."

Deidra nodded in understanding before she sat down herself. "I am guessing you have another problem?" the woman asked with a half smile.

Constance didn't know why, but she just had to talk to Deidra. For some reason she felt like she was the only one she could confine in however it still gave her troubles. What was she supposed to say? That she found a diary that wasn't hers? Yet she decided to read it? That she met Albus Dumbledore's brother? To whom she talked to like she would to a friend?

Constance had no idea where to start. She wasn't even sure if she should start. She knew she needed to tell someone something, but maybe Deidra wasn't the right person.

"Are you having troubles with your friends?" Deidra asked trying to reach out to the girl. Probably trying to help her talk. " Family?" she continued.

"I'm an orphan," Constance explained not really sure why.

"Oh, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you..."

"No, it's alright. I never knew my parents anyway." It was the first time after years Constance decided to talk about this. It really wasn't her favourite theme.

"I am an orphan too," Deidra suddenly announced making Constance wide eyed. "Maybe not like you, but I was an orphan in a way."

She stopped for a slight second before continuing,"When I came to Hogwarts my family practically disowned me. They didn't want anything to do with me."

The older woman poured the hot water into cups before standing up turned towards the fireplace. "But fortunately for me I met Jane. She was the most generous person I had ever met. She even invited me to stay with them. She became like a sister to me. And her parents became my parents." Deidra told the story her voice ever so soft at the mention of Jane. Gently she picked up the picture Constance had seen so many times before caressing it with her fingers.

"But she died later on, didn't she?" the Hufflepuff tried to be as polite as she could saying that for she saw how tense Deidra became at the mention. " A werewolf attack you said?"

"Yes," the woman replied putting the picture back down and turning back towards the young girl.

"What about her parents?"

"They died not shortly after," Deidra darkly finished. "And me... Well I became twice an orphan."

Constance could feel her heart tearing a bit with the story. She remembered the feeling of not being wanted all too well. She remembered how it was hoping for a family you may never have, but what was worst was getting hope like Deidra did and then losing it yet again.

"I am sorry," the girl said sadly.

"For what? It's not your fault. I guess it's just how the world works," Deidra said raising her icy eyes to the girl's level. "At the end we are always completely and utterly alone."

###
A/N:
Hi, I know this may have been a bit of a dark chapter, but I think Deidra and Constance needed to have this kind of talk. Anyway the next one will be a bit happier😁.

Thanks for reading