Chapter 1

(Y/n)'s POV

The dark, frightening strikes of lightning lit up the now empty office. My heart bounded furiously as I recalled the events from the late afternoon.

Loud splatters of rain hit the windows like a serial killer banging open a door. *sigh* Today was no different from any other day.

Bad days at work...were perfectly normal for me. Of course, I couldn't exactly blame anyone for this unfortunate thing. I guess it was just inevitable.

'Lock the doors when you leave, got that?' my boss had said. Tch, damn him...he could go rot in a hole for all I care. After all, I've been living the life of a beggar at work because of him.

The ringing of my phone startled me from my thoughts. I answered with a half-hearted 'hello' before smiling after hearing who it was.

"Yuuta, how was work?"
"(Y/n), I should be asking you that. Work for me has been great, as usual."

I simply laughed a little.

"Hey, meet me downstairs. I'll be there in five minutes," he exclaimed.
"Sure, see you later."

The sudden sound of thunder made me jump. I hated this...it wasn't the lightning or the thunder that frightened me...it was the dark, unfortunately. For some reason, I had always been afraid of the dark.

Well, there was no time to be pondering over something so small. I had better wrap things up before Yuuta got here.

As soon as everything was tidy, I had my bag over my shoulder before locking the office door. As I headed to the ground floor of the building, I couldn't help but think of all the scary things that could happen.

What if the elevator stopped? What if some psychopath came to kill me? What if- wait, why was I even thinking about this? Was I just too paranoid? Geez, being alone at night was getting on my nerves.

"(Y/n), over here!" Yuuta called out.

I spotted him near the front doors. As soon as I reached him, he pulled me into a warm hug before slipping a jacket on over my shoulders.

"It's cold outside. I don't want you getting sick."
"Yuuta, I won't get sick."
"But you do get scared of the dark."
"Pfft, whatever."

We headed outside, where the car was still waiting. The others, Kento and Goshi, were probably already at their apartment seeing as how they weren't inside the car.

"(Y/n), how was work?"
"Yuuta, there's really no need to talk about this."
"*pouts* But I'm supposed to be your older brother."
"And you are."
"But I need to look after you."
"Oi, I'm old enough to look after myself."
"No, you're not. You're still scared of the dark."
"That's completely unrelated to what we're talking about."

He simply sighed in defeat before grabbing a plastic bag from the side of the car. All I could do was look at him in confusion as he showed me what was inside.

"Look, I got you rainbow pudding!" he exclaimed happily.
"You sure do love rainbow pudding a lot, don't you?"
"What are you talking about? I got this for you."
"Because you like it so much."
"But you like it too."
"Yeah, that's true."

I laughed as he pouted. Honestly...he was too cute sometimes. A vibration in my hand caused me to check my phone.

The message said, 'Make sure you get the article done. If you don't, there'll be consequences. Got that, you attention seeker?'

"Who's it from?" Yuuta asked while tilting his head to the side.
"J-just a friend from work."
"Really? What did she say?"
"Ah, nothing much."

I avoided his gaze as I pretended to look at the passing scenery. After all, there was no chance I could just tell him the truth. It would hurt him.

That stupid Yumiko...hmph, jealous brat. I seriously could not deal with her idiotic attempts at making my life worse everyday. Was that her life goal or something? Geez...

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow."
"You know...if there's something bothering you, you can tell me, right?" Yuuta asked.
"Yeah, I know."

I gave him a small smile before heading inside. Yuuta...I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I can't be a good sibling...tch, I'm so pathetic.

If only I wasn't your sister...you would have nothing to worry about, so that's why I can't tell you the truth. It would hurt too much. I was afraid that he'd leave me...

As soon as I got inside, I sat down at my desk and started working on the article. Damn it! Why couldn't Yumiko do this herself?! Why the hell was she so persistent?!

I hated it...I hated her for taking credit for my work. And it was even worse when my boss thought that I was a failure because I haven't written anything myself.

That wasn't true though...everything that she handed in was mine. It was my work. I could've been praised but instead, it just had to be her.

Goshi: Hey, Yuuta seemed a little strange when he came back. Did something happen?

Me: Something happen?...nothing that I can think of

Goshi: You sure?

Me: Yeah

Goshi: Geez

Hmph, was it my fault?...I guess it was. Maybe I should've gotten a different job. Maybe that would've been easier for all of us...

I couldn't do that. It'd just feel like I was running away from everything. Damn it...I still had no idea what to do. If only I had the power to do something, but I was powerless.

If it was Yuuta, he'd definitely know what to do. I was sure of it...after all, he always had his own ways to solve problems. The solutions were always so simple...

*sigh* I should just forget about all that and finish writing this article for Yumiko. Damn her, she was probably out partying with her stupid friends...