Chapter 17

(Y/n)'s POV

~A few days later~

I couldn't focus. This was too much. Yumiko had already submitted my article for editing and publication. But surprisingly, that wasn't what had been troubling for the last few days.

Yuuta had been coming here to visit Yumiko almost everyday now. Well, sure he acknowledged my presence but other than a simple hello and goodbye, he paid no attention to me.

But what was worse was that often they visited as a group, meaning Goshi and Kento were both with him. And to no surprise, Tsubasa had accompanied them every single time.

And now, they were here again. Ugh, I just wanted to crawl into a room and never come out again. The word had spread that Yumiko was dating my brother but had almost been released to the media.

I could tell that she seemed overly upset by the fact that she couldn't publicly announce Yuuta as her boyfriend. After all, it was obvious that she wanted him all for herself.

"Hey, how's work?" Kento asked while taking a seat next to me.
"The same as how it's always been."
"Really? I thought you looked a little paler than usual."
"Wow, it's so nice of you to point out the obvious."
"Haha but seriously, you're not feeling any better, are you?"

I just sighed instead of answering his question. The squealing of the girls around Kento was making my headache worse. He shot me an apologetic look.

"Hey (Y/n), do you mind getting this done for me? Mr Hitoshi said to hand this to you since I'll be taking the day off," Yumiko exclaimed.
"Huh? Why?"
"Yuuta asked me to go on a date. I can't refuse now, can I?"

I reluctantly took the stack of documents from her and set them down on my desk. I watched as she happily left with Yuuta's arm around her shoulders.

Goshi and Tsubasa were outside. Were they going on a double date? Just the thought of it was enough to rip out my heart. I glared at the scene below with nothing but anger and jealousy.

"Oi, snap out of it," Kento said while poking my cheek.
"Omg! She just experienced his touch! Aww, I'm so jealous!" yelled one of the female staff.

Ugh, I could not deal with this any longer. Kento stood up and grabbed my hand, causing more girls to glare at me in pure hatred. I just rolled my eyes and followed him outside.

The others were just a few metres away, and obviously didn't notice us. Typical. Kento looked down at his phone before texting a reply back to whoever had sent him one first.

"Who was that?"
"Yuuta. He asked if I wanted to go along on their double date."
"Well, have fun third wheeling."
"But not alone. He said Yumiko knew some girls so yeah..."
"Oh..."
"Don't worry, I refused."
"W-what? Why?"
"I refused to go on a date with some random girl. Instead, I'm taking you."
"Eh?! You can't-"

But he had already begun dragging me towards the group of four.

"Kento, I still need to work! Unlike Yumiko, I am not valued by Mr Hitoshi so I'll probably get fired!"
"Oh, you don't need to worry about that. I have connections, you know."
"But still-"

We had caught up with the others. They all looked at me as if I was an alien. I felt out of place here, I didn't belong here. This...all started because of me.

"So you're taking (Y/n), huh?" Yuuta asked.
"Yep," Kento replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
"Well, let's get going," exclaimed Tsubasa.

I managed to hold in the groan that had tried to force its way out. Kento met my gaze and winked. Damn him...why did he have to make me come along?...

~At the shopping centre~

I stayed behind everyone else with Kento. He didn't seem to mind but I could tell that he was feeling bad for me.

"Hey, that's cute. Want it?" he asked while gesturing towards a hair clip.
"No-"
"Come on, you've been sulking the whole time. It'll look good on you."
"No, I'm not going to make you spend your money on me."
"Hmm? Is that really the reason?" he asked, smirking.

I elbowed him, making him wince in both pain and surprise. He simply sighed but what he did next was definitely enough to surprise me for the whole year.

I didn't even get to take another step before he knelt down in front of me and placed a kiss on my hand. Strangers walking by stopped to look at us in confusion.

"O-oi, stop. It's attracting attention."
"Hmm? Why are you focused on everyone else? Your attention should only be on me," he replied with a smirk.
"Kento!"

The others had stopped to see what was happening. I avoided eye contact with them and just looked down at Kento. He seemed to know from my expression that they had averted all their attention to us.

"(Y/n), go on a date with me."
"But-"
"I'm not asking you. This isn't a request but a command."

I could feel my face heat up from everyone's gazes. Ugh, why did he have to make it even worse than before?...

Suddenly, Goshi pulled him up by his shirt and glared at him. I could only stare in shock as he did this. Kento, however, seemed unusually calm.

"What do you think you're doing?" Goshi asked, annoyed.
"What? Am I not allowed to ask her out?"
"You know that's not what I'm worried about. Why the hell did you have to do it like that? Now everyone's watching us."
"But you're making much more of a scene than I am. It almost seems like you don't want her to go out with me. Are you...jealous?"