Chapter 21

(Y/n)'s POV

~Nighttime~

"So what? You expect me to cook?"
"Yeah, you're the only girl here," Kento replied while switching the channels.
"That doesn't mean that guys can't cook!"
"If you don't mind, I can help," Mikado offered.
"Yes please, that'll be a great help."

A sudden knock on the door interrupted our pointless conversation. I looked at the others before going to get the door.

My hand shook slightly as I reached for the doorknob. What if it was Yumiko? What if Goshi had come with Tsubasa? I forced down these thoughts and opened the door.

A male figure stood on the other side with a hood pulled over his head, shadowing the features of his face. The fact that he was also wearing sunglasses didn't help.

"Um...?"
"Come with me."

I didn't get a chance to protest before he pulled me by the arm and dragged me to the elevator. I tried shaking his grip but it was no use.

"Stop struggling. I know you're weak," he exclaimed in a quiet voice.
"What? Who the hell are you? Let go!"

Someone from behind grabbed onto my other arm. Kento and Tatsuhiro had rushed out to see what had happened.

"Let go of her arm," Kento ordered.
"I can't do that. Not until I show her."
"Show her what?"

I caught a glimpse of the male's face and frowned a little. His familiar features were engraved in my mind, as if something or someone had forced me to remember them.

"...it's fine. I'll be okay."
"But (Y/n)-"
"Don't worry. If I don't make it back in a few hours, then you can go look for me but I think I should be fine."
"Let's go."

Kento's grip on my arm loosened as he reluctantly let me go with the mysterious male. I managed a smile before going into the elevator.

The awkward silence was suffocating. It felt like I was underwater, where all my limbs were tied together. The water had rushed into my head and forced me to lose consciousness.

After what felt like an eternity, the doors opened. I was pulled by him again as he took me to a nearby park. We hid behind a few trees but it was still a little difficult to see in the darkness.

I made out two people standing alone in the empty, deserted area. Was that Tsubasa? But who was that other man? I didn't recognise him. In fact, I was surprised that it wasn't Goshi that had gone with her...but that would've been impossible.

"What now? Who is that?"
"Her boyfriend-"
"Eh?! What?! You mean-"

He quickly covered my mouth, looking out at the two again. He had taken his sunglasses off. Even though it was dark, I knew that he was glaring at me. I bit down on my lips.

"So? What did you want to tell me? That she was cheating on you this whole time?"
"No, she wasn't."
"Then what would you call that if it isn't cheating?"
"I...don't know. I just know that it isn't cheating. Her feelings seemed...genuine."
"And?"

He stayed silent. We watched quietly as the two left in a car. Goshi's grip on my arm still hadn't loosened. It was almost starting to hurt.

A while passed. Neither of us said anything. The silence seemed peaceful but that was just a delusion. I didn't know what he was thinking nor did I want to hear more useless arguments.

"Was that all? Was that all you wanted to show me?"
"..."
"Well, sorry but don't expect me to pity you just because she cheated on you."
"...I'm sorry."
"Of course you should be- wait, what? Did you just apologise?"
"I'm sorry..."

I stared at him, unable to read his mind. His face was hidden by his hood but the moon's light shone on the tears that had fallen down. Was he crying?

His grip on my arm loosened but what I didn't expect to happen had happened. He pulled me into a hug, but his grip was gentle, almost hesitant. I didn't know what to do.

Why now? Why do this now? What was going through his mind? Was he shouldering a lot more than he could carry? I guess I would never know until he spoke up.

"Goshi, w-what's wrong? Did..."

I felt my own voice drifting off. I couldn't get the words out. The question I had wanted to ask was probably too much. Was...it because he truly loved Tsubasa?

A few minutes went by as if they were seconds. I attempted to loosen his grip on my body but he only pulled me in closer.

I could feel my heartbeat increasing and heat rushing to my cheeks. I never thought I would ever feel this again. I thought I was ready to get over this silly, pointless feeling called love.

It was doubtful that he felt the same way about me but that didn't stop me from falling for him. I could almost feel my own tears threatening to fall but that was just an illusion.

"I-I should probably start heading back."

He didn't say anything or give any indication of whether he heard what I had just said. I was almost about to ask him the questions that had occupied my mind for the past week.

"(Y/n), I-I..."

I waited patiently for him to finish but his final words never came.

"You can get home by yourself, right? I'm sure you can tell me another time. Kento and the others may get worried even though I said a few hours. You know how they are."
"...okay, thanks."

I waited for him to get up but he just stayed there. I sighed before standing up. After glancing back at him, I left without saying anything.

There must've been a reason as to why he called me out here. I was sure that he would tell me soon enough.