Buying a Romance Novel

Jun's POV

I stared out the window from my room at a dog crossing the street. My eyes followed it until it was out of my view. I pressed my forehead against the window and sighed. "It's already fall and I didn't accomplish anything again this year." I wallowed in self pity.

I continued to stare at my reflection in the window and realized that I got a wrinkle. Hitting my head softly on the window "Who says that men is not affected by signs of aging." I smiled bigger and the wrinkle got deeper. Oh, hell...what am I doing? Fretting over a wrinkle. Well, it's because I'm just an ordinary man, and my fiancee that I have loved desires anything but ordinary. She left me for a rich and handsome man. Geez...I don't need another wrinkle to lessen my attractiveness. My goal for this year was to get myself a girlfriend by my 35th birthday and that passed by like a speeding bullet. By the way my name is Jun.

Waking up in such a foul mood, might as well just call in sick. A drive through the canyon will do me some good and I have been wanting to take pictures of the moutain now that the leaves have showed the change in season. From a distance the mountain looks like a canvas filled with beautiful colors. The leaves turning from green to gold, red and yellow hues. It's as if an artist splashed the colors on the canvas without care. Autumn is definitely my favorite season.

While my thoughts were still focused on the drive up the canyon, the sound of the phone brought me back to my senses. I looked to see who was calling and it was my older sister. I rolled my eyes. What does she want now? She usually doesn't call unless she wants me to run errands for her. "Hi sis, what do you need?"

"Is that how you greet your favorite sister? Hey, can you pick up a new romance novel for me since you are heading to the book store. I have been waiting for this one and can't wait to get my hands on it." Her voice was full of excitement.

"Why can't you buy it yourself or order it online" I whined. She knows darn well that I can't say no to her.

"Can't wait that long baby brother and you are going to the bookstore today. Anyways, after I read it, you can have the book. I think it's a fair exchange" I was silent for a minute. I love reading romance novels. I cursed my sisters for influencing me when I was young. There are six siblings in my family. Three girls and three boys. Me, I'm the youngest. My brothers didn't spend time with me because they were significantly older than I was. Of course, they did their boy things and I was left behind. The girls ended up dragging me everywhere with them.

"It's not that I don't want to do it. It's embarrassing for a grown man to buy a romance novel," I mumbled.

"Oh, who cares what other people think. It's not like you will ever run into them again."

"Fine," I reluctantly agreed to her demand. I can hear her giggle as I hung up the phone.

I pulled up in the parking lot of the book store and hurried inside. For fear of being caught in the romance section, I glanced around like there was danger lurking in every corner. Lucky for me, I was there early so there were no customers in sight. I even made sure there was no one in the aisles next to it. When I felt it was safe, I walked to the romance section and search for the book. When I found it, I grabbed the book and looked at the cover. A smile spread across my face seeing that it's a historical romance.

The cover was very sexy. It was a picture of a handsome half naked rogue looking Duke with his arms wrapped around the beautiful duchess. One of her hand was caressing his bare chest. Dammit, it makes me want a girlfriend. "Wicked in his arms," I read softly. I heard someone laugh from across the aisle but I didn't look to see who it was. I swear I heard him repeat the name of the book as he continued to laugh.

I hurried and walked to the register. I could have died from embarrassment. Fuck, I cursed myself. Why did I read the title out loud. I swear no one was around. In fact I made sure no one was around to see me pick up the book. I handed the book to the cashier, "I'm buying this for my sister," I explained to the cashier. She just smiled and didn't say anything. Like my sister said who cares, I will never meet this person again.

======================================
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy it. I am by no means a professional writer as you can tell (don't laugh too loud) but I do love romance and wanted to share that love with you. I tried to correct spellings and grammatical errors but I'm sure that I still missed them. I don't know if anyone will read this but it was still fun to write.