Little Devil

"Where are we going?" Wade's voice suddenly interrupted the quiet drive.

"I'm taking you to my thinking spot in the canyon. You will love the view from there." I glanced at him from the side wondering why he sounded nervous.

I hear the ringing of my cellphone and welcomed the distraction. The call came over the car speaker and I pressed the button to answer.

"Hey, baby bro."A cheerful voice boomed over the speaker. Jake let out a chuckle.

"What's up sis?" I answered knowing that my plans were going change.

"Can you pick Matt from school and watch him for approximately 2 hours for me. I am stuck at work. There's nothing I can do." I can hear the irritation in her voice.

"Of course I can watch him. Don't worry about it, if you need me longer just let me know." I turned towards Wade giving him an apologetic smile.

"See you later and thank you so much."

"Anytime, see you later." I hung up the phone.

"Sorry, about the change of plans." I muttered softly. " You can always come and hang out with me and my nephew." I teased with a small laugh.

"Okay, sounds good. I will take you up on that offer." I took a swift look at him. He had a smile plaster on his face.

"Are you being serious?" I asked with a surprise look.

"Very...or are you taking back your invitation." He smirked like it was a challenge.

"Oh, I would never do that." A sarcastic smile slowly crept across my face. He hasn't met my nephew Matt yet but I can't wait until they interact.

"Why do you look so pleased." He raised his eyebrows as he studied my face.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Oh, no special reason. I'm just excited for you two to meet."

I walked in the school and signed Matt out, when he noticed me he ran at me with open arms. His smile widened showing his missing tooth.

"Bao, I'm glad you came to pick me up." His arms wrapped around my waist. When the kids address me, the call me Bao which means uncle. I pat him on his head and returned the hug. The teacher handed me his backpack and we made our way back to the car.

Wade stood outside the car with the door open. I can see the look of surprise on his face. His gaze became intense moving from Matt than back at me. The corner of his lips stretched to his ears as we got closer. Everyone always say that Matt looks like a younger version of me but our personalities are as different as night and day.

"Bao, who is this old man? I don't like the way he is looking at you?" He looked up staring straight at Wade's face. His arms crossed while waiting for a response. Wade raised an eyebrow, his smile suddenly disappeared.

"I am Wade, a good friend of your uncle's. I'm not an old man. Wade soften his voice as if trying to win Matt over. "I'm also younger than your uncle and that means I'm not an old man." Wade shot me a look pleading for help. I just bit my lips keeping the laughter that was about to burst.

Matt crossed this arms, his eyes were still on Wade's. "Whatever old man, you look more like my grandpa." He took his stance showing his stubbornness.

"Now Matt, don't be rude and show respect. Please get in the car and buckle up."

"But bao," he whined while climbing in the car.

"Be a good boy and fasten your seat belt." I tousled his hair.