Chapter 14

The first couple of interviews went surprisingly well. But then it was time for Colby. He won his match, to almost everyone's surprise, against Kane. It was also my last interview of the night, since no one dares to ask either the Undertaker OR Brock Lesnar any questions.

A member of the production team stops me as I'm heading to the gorilla, following the sound of Seth Rollins's entrance track.

"Rollins requested to cancel the interview tonight."

What? HE cancelled it?

"Oh, alright. Anything else I'm needed for?"

"Yeah, can we talk?" Colby comes up behind us, making the other man shrug and walk away.

"About what?"

"Privately." He grabs my wrist and pulls me in the opposite direction of where I was headed.

"Okay, how private because..." We're headed to the locker room. I can already tell. "I have to find Carlos and head back to the hotel soon."

"He already left. With some guy." Of fucking course he did. He probably took our rental, too.

Colby lets go of my hand when we enter the locker room, and reaches in the pocket of his sweatshirt.

He hands over a little box.

"What is this?"

"Just open it."

I open the box to reveal a chain, with a Celtic-printed locket on the end. I hesitate opening the locket.

"I was going to give it to you three years ago. After my last FCW match, on the way home."

I remember that night. WWE was getting ready to change FCW to NXT, and we were driving back and forth from Davenport to Tampa every week. He'd just became the champion.

I had to leave early, though. My older sister's health was taking a turn for the worse, and I needed to catch the next flight to Milwaukee to be with her.

Colby understood. He was disappointed that I couldn't make it to the celebration party, couldn't drive back home with him, but he understood. He'd been there when I lost my parents, when we first found out my sister had cancer.

Why he cheated on me, three weeks after that night, I have no idea, still.

"Open it."

I click open the locket, and it's a picture. Of us. And...Kevin. Who was, back then, Colby and Kitty's dog, but now just his dog.

I know what you're thinking. 'Kevin is a stupid name for a dog.'

And you're right.

But I loved that dog. He tried to warn me when I came home that day. And I just left him. I haven't been able to bring myself to adopt another pet since then. It just hurts.

"I can't accept this." I hand him the chain, but he pushes my hand back.

"Yes, you can. You can cut me out of it, I promise. I just didn't have any other pictures of you and him. I still want you to have it."

I stare down at the picture. Now that I think of it, it's probably the last time I was happy.

I've never truly been happy since I lost my parents, but I was pretty happy with Colby. And my dog.

"You know," Colby breaks my thought, "You can come see him. I'm going home after Raw tomorrow night, you should come with. I don't drive everywhere anymore, but my mom brings him with when she picks me up from the airport."

I was about to decline, before I hear a familiar giggle passing the doorway.

"You wanna come back to my room for a drink or two?" I hear Mercy ask someone. I look back at the door, just in time to see her and Fergal.

"Eh, sure. I should probably find Katherine and let her know Carlos left first, though..."

I look back at Colby, who also heard the whole thing.

I realize that I haven't been home since we moved down to Orlando. I haven't seen my friends, or even contacted my aunt.

"You know, that might not be a terrible idea."