Chapter 21

I feel like everyone around me is evolving, while I'm stuck in limbo. I've recently made my television debut, which I thought turned out pretty great. A few other matches came after that, none of which were televised, but the crowd kept chanting the same thing over and over again. "Burn it down, burn it down."

Do I embrace it at this point, or should I put my foot down?

"We're going to have to keep you out of action for a while, until this all blows over."

Until what blows over? The fact that my ex posted a picture of us on Twitter last week, and everyone blew it out of proportion? Yeah, that happened. He took it down right away, but people screenshot enough copies for everyone on the interwebs.

Oh, but it gets better.

He captioned it, and I quote, "Happy birthday, Kitten. Family X-Mas '11"

Ah, yes. A Christmas picture. With me, wearing elf ears and just enough clothing to not breach Twitter's Terms of Service. Sitting on, get ready for this kids: Colby's lap. Who's dressed up as Santa Claus.

I can't make this up. Seriously.

We weren't the most classy human beings back then. We were also very drunk, so there's that. Spiked egg nog man, what can I say? 800x better than sober egg nog.

Comments ranging from:

BIOTAIGHDUSDFIH "KITTEN"???

to

IS THAT KITTY WHAT THE FUCK

to, my personal favorite, and clearly a favorite of my boss

vince mcmahon when he sees this:

So, yeah. He did that. And is now, not answering my phone calls. Even though my job is on the line. And it's not even my fault. Great way to spend my birthday weekend.

Oh, but he's currently on the other side of the planet, doing a European tour right now. Meaning, he had enough time to post the tweet, delete it a few minutes later, but not answer the fucking phone.

Remember when I said that everyone blew it out of proportion? Well, they didn't. That's me being in denial. I honestly don't know what was running through his head when he posted that. Like, "Oh, yeah. This is a good happy birthday picture. The WWE Universe is gonna love this."? NO!

"We're going to write your brother into a story line to explain your absence. That is, if he becomes available. Tell him to ring my office when you get a chance." Listen, Bill. I know you're trying to do right for your company. But this is not my fault.

I didn't actually say that out loud. Wish I could have, but I just end up hanging my head and leaving my boss's office, while rain begins to pour down from the sky. As if on cue. I can only hope Aiden would be up to covering for me, considering he was pretty salty last time we spoke.

I don't even bother to acknowledge Alexis on my way out of the building. She's talking to Mercy, who's been hanging out around here for the past week or so. Doesn't she have bigger things to tend to? Like, I don't know, Smackdown? Or Raw? The main roster life?

My phone rings as I pull out of the parking lot, and the name on the screen is enough to make me re-park and answer.

"Do you have any idea what you've done?"

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry. But I'm currently about to board a flight back home with a fucked up knee."

"And you called me, why?"

"I need someone to pick me up from the airport. My mom's out of town."

You've got to be shitting me. Your ass better take a taxi back home. Because I'd be damned if I'm flying to Illinois just to pick him up from the airport.

"I'm gonna be out of work for a while. At least a few months."

Well, that sucks. Unfortunately, now, because of you, I am also going to be out of work for a few months.

"Colby, I'm sorry for you. Good luck finding a way home. But in the meantime, do not call me. Anymore. Or @ me on twitter. I need a break."

Click.

Did I really just do that? God damnit, now I'll never get to see the dog again.

I look up toward the building only to see Fergal, headed straight for my car. He's using his bag to shield himself from the rain. I roll the window down.

"Hey, my car's not startin'. Mind if I catch a ride?" I half-expect to see Mercy, tagging along behind him. But she's nowhere to be seen.

"Throw the bag in the trunk and hop in."

------

a/n
did i just use the @ symbol in dialogue? yes, yes i did
also i was legitimately laughing at myself when i was writing the "twitter replies" tbh