Chapter 20

Back in Orlando, a week later

My debut is finally here. I've been working my ass off at the performance center for this exact moment.

"You ready, girly?" Lexi hip bumps me as she makes her way into the production room.

The two of us are in a televised tag team match against Ember Moon and, wait for it...Asuka. Yes, the undefeated Asuka. The champion, Asuka. I am both honored and terrified. If we're going to win this match, one of us will have to take out Ember, because there is no way Asuka is losing her streak tonight.

I fasten the belt that's attached to my glittery, blue shorts. Alexis and I are both kind-of matching, with her getup being sparkly pink, and mine being blue. We both match the hair on our heads, anyway.

---x---

We won. I just won my first match, on TV.

A wave of congratulations surround the two of us after we limp backstage. I know Lexi is playing it off for the camera, but my leg actually hurts. I ended up going for a top-rope moonsault onto Adrienne, but she rolled out of the way. I landed pretty hard on my feet, and felt a shooting pain from my shin up.

Aside from that, everything was great. I mean, we won! What could be better than that? There was a weird vibe in the crowd, though. Not to mention, everyone was chanting "burn it down" when I came out. Regal mentioned that it would probably be wise to change my billing location from Des Moines to Orlando, seeing as how that's where I live now. And to avoid a scandal.

I wince as I sit down on the bench outside of the locker room.

"Hey, you okay? You didn't seem to land right." Adrienne sits next to me.

"I'm fine. It'll pass." I hope. My knee is pretty swollen already.

"Yeah...you should probably go see the doc. Leave it alone, and your first match will be your last." She gives me a serious, but concerned look and walks off.

Ya probably fucked this up, Kat. I landed that same move at least twice this week. What the hell is going on?

"Nice job on your match tonight." I look up and see who is probably the distraction that has me messing up my moves.

"Thanks, Fergal. Or should I say...Demon King...?" His body is painted and sleeves are on, so I know he's got a match coming up.

He shifts, awkwardly. Oh, shit. Did I say something wrong? No. I was right. This is weird.

"I'll catch ya later, yeah?" He says, before jogging off. I look in the distance and see her. Mercy.

They're together. Not officially, but I can sense it. He shrinks away from me every time she's around. Which is pretty often these days.

---x---

The lights are off in my apartment when I get home. Aiden has been in a pretty depressed mood lately, since he stopped showing up at the training center. He hasn't been released, just put on temporary leave. Same with Leah.

Speaking of, she walks out of my brother's bedroom, wearing one of his shirts.

"Hey." I wave, after turning the living room light on.

"Oh, hey. Nice match." She says, pouring a cup of coffee.

"Thanks. Ace here?"

"Hm? Yeah. He's decent."

I walk past her and into my brother's room. He's lounging on the bed, tv on, and phone in hand. He doesn't even look up when I enter the room.

"Carlos was asking about you today. Something about a moving truck?"

"He knows where I live."

Really? They're fighting now too? And why is Leah even here? I mean, I know she's potentially carrying my niece or nephew, but they aren't actually a couple. Right?

"O...kay? Well, it sounded important, so. You should probably give him a call."

"Yeah, and you should probably watch who you take your clothes off for."

Woah, what?

"Excuse me?"

"Acting all high and mighty are we? I know what you did in LA. You need to keep trouble out of your life, or this little career won't last long."

God damnit. Did Carlos say something? Or even worse...did Colby say something? Please, for the love of God if I lose my job over this...

------

a/n
wow i hate this chapter lmao
but here's an updated ver of kitty's entrance (i bought 2k18 a few months ago)
sorry if you live in the UK/Ireland and whatnot, the video is blocked in a few countries bc of the music lol