Chapter 4

If there was one thing he's learned these past few months, it was to be careful. But that was the exact opposite of what he had been last night. All he had to do was watch the girl, but no he had to intervene, he had to talk to her, he had to get to know her.

Not only did he throw caution to the wind, but he gave that hunter enough reason to stay in town. Tapping the wheel of his 2013 red Kia Forte Koupe he tried recalling his memories from that night. There was something about that hunter that seemed almost familiar to him, but he couldn't place it.

Slightly annoyed Mason checked his phone to see where Jaden was, he felt out of place sitting in his car a few blocks from the U.M. campus. He could've been a student here, he did hear they had a good medical program, but there was no time for school right now. He was too busy trying to make sure he wasn't killed anytime soon.

Someone knocked on his car door and he unlocked the car seeing his friend get in with a huff.

"It's about time," Mason said trying to rein in his annoyance at waiting.

"Relax I'm here, now aren't I? So how did it go," Jaden said closing the door as he got into the passenger seat.

"I could tell from her reaction, she doesn't know about wolves, she's a normal human"

"But her parents are, and you were only supposed to find out if she was one or not. Who's to say she won't tell her parents?" Jaden said glaring.

"I'm aware of the plan Jaden, I came up with it after all; and I don't think we have to worry about her telling them. There was another hunter there, this one trained" he said knowing the news would infuriate Jaden more.

Jaden's jaw clenched tightly as he stared through the windshield.

"Is he the reason I can smell blood on you?"

"Last night he shot me while I was a wolf, it was silver, but I think something else was wrong with the bullet. I'm not healing fast" Mason replied wincing with the memory.

If not for Roland's help he would've never gotten the bullet out, but it had stayed long enough to leave him residual pain from the silver.

Jaden's eyes narrowed into slits his dark brown eyes flashing a golden color with his anger. Mason had felt that anger not long ago, but it had passed and now he was thinking of what the hunter meant for them.

"I'll kill him" he growled staring determined at Mason.

He knew his friend would kill him, it was his old job back in the pack. But they had left the pack, and he didn't need his friend killing people for him nor did he want him to have to do that anymore. That was one factor of the pack he didn't agree with.

"I handled it already J" he replied shaking his head, but his friend remained pissed off.

Jaden would be damned if anyone tried killing them, and he wasn't going to let this hunter slide scot free. Whether Mason would kill him he knew his friend was soft when it came to be dealing with serious matters.

"Define handle it"

"I bit him, he should be dead of blood loss if anything"

Jaden scoffed watching Mason in disbelief, "We both know how unreliable it is to hope someone dies, better to do it yourself"

"Jaden stop! We don't need to kill anyone anymore. You don't need to do that, you can live a blood-free life" Mason said exasperatedly.

Jaden's eyes went back to their normal brown color and he looked sadly at his friend. This was one thing they could never agree on and always butt heads about.