Chapter 25

'Where are they?' Mason thought pouring on speed as he followed their trail through the woods.

Jumping over a tangle of branches he ran following the scent and going as fast as his four legs would carry him. Angry couldn't describe how he felt right now. They had attacked her! Someone innocent, that had no business with them, but most of all it was her. He told them not to go after humans and they choose her. He should've known those rogues would be a problem. Henry didn't agree with their ways since the beginning, and April followed him around like a pup. Mason had made sure Valentina was in the ambulance and followed at a distance to make sure she was safe before going back into the woods. In the time he got distracted the two of them had taken off. If no – when he found them he'd make them pay. Growling Mason pushed himself even faster trees blurring around him and he swore he could smell her. April wasn't too much further ahead of him, and she was being sloppy. Crashing around through the trees loud enough to alert any wolf that could be hunting her. Baring fangs Mason could practically reach out his muzzle and bit her hind leg now.

'I'm sorry. We were just so hungry, and Henry said they'd be an easy meal' she projected into his mind, but he didn't care.

If she wanted an easy target he'd show her what it felt like to be one. Reaching forward he clamped his powerful jaw shut only nipping her back leg but she whimpered none the less scared. The smell of her fear fueled Mason and his wolf as he chased her and gained on her as she grew tired. A few more feet and he'd be on top of her. Opening his jaw one more time as he was on top of her, he reared back when a large black wolf with hazel eyes got in his path. Sliding to a stop and growling as he saw her get away he glared at Jaden who also bristled seeing him.

'You showed her you were a wolf' he growled baring fangs.

'I don't have time for this' Mason said shaking his head and attempting to sidestep his friend who only blocked his path.

'You've put werewolves in danger. You put yourself in danger Mason!' he continued glaring at Mason.

Masons hackled rose at the challenge, but he focused on where he wanted to direct his anger. It was at the rogue getting away from him.

'I don't care Jaden, they were going to kill them'

'You could've saved them without revealing what you were. You wanted her to know! Why are you being this reckless? Do you want to get killed?' Jaden continued growling.

Mason bared his fangs huffing, 'Get out my way Jaden'

'How about you make me' Jaden challenged, and Mason growled louder. He didn't intend on fighting his friend, but anger burned his veins and the thought of fighting, in general, seemed appealing right now.

'I don't want to fight my friend'

'And I don't remember mine being suicidal. I've stuck by you through everything Mason just tell me why you're doing what you're doing, and I can try understanding. As your friend, that's all I ask'

'I don't know why okay! I heard her in trouble and I reacted okay?' Mason snapped. He didn't know why but when it came to her he didn't think about himself first. Just like that other time and even though he didn't know understand it some deep part of him did want her to know what he was.

'I'm telling you the truth. Now get out of my way Mason'

'It's us against them Mason and it's starting to look like you're choosing them. What happened to the guy who killed his Alpha to protect his pack?'

'I've told you everything already Jaden. Now goodbye' Mason said finally running and getting around his friend.

Frustrated he knew though that April had already cleared a lot of ground. He probably wouldn't be able to catch up to her, but he still ran as if he could. Eventually, when he had run another 20 miles he stopped growling and turned back around. April and Henry were gone and as much as he wanted revenge on them he had to think about what to do next. The hunters are definitely going to retaliate after they attacked their daughter.