Chapter 34

"Omega squad has gone in and has managed to bring down a few wolves while sustaining minimal damage. Yes, thank you; you're fine to pull back now and reload. The real plan begins now," Lara said into a Bluetooth on her ear.

Valentina watched as her mother and father both nodded to the group of 10 hunters spread out behind them. When they had arrived at the forest she had seen no end to the number of hunters gathered in front of the trees. They were positioned at intervals along the perimeter of the forest, and all of them very much armed.

Valentina had felt sick to her stomach hearing the sounds of wolves howling in pain. She wanted revenge herself on some wolves, but this was not the way it should be handled.

"Why am I here?" She hissed through clenched teeth, attempting to pull her arms from the two hunters holding her. They didn't need to hold her since her arms were tied, and she couldn't get very far with her limp either way.

Her mother turned towards her, face impassive but dark eyes glaring. She put the phone they had been using to communicate within her father's hand without another word. Ever since the club, Valentina's father had refused to look at her.

"You're here to learn about what we as hunters really do in action. You will also finally see the real danger these wolves pose," she said monotone.

"This is a trap and a distraction. I thought hunters fought with honor?"

"You want to see honor hija? Then you will once you see how many people thank us for riding this world of them." Her mother explained then looked to her right as Markos approached.

She saw her mother glare at Markos but nodded when he said he had news to give.

"Team Delta has set up the bombs every 5 miles, and they're ready when you are to set off the gas," he told Lara who nodded.

Valentina had been held there when they first set up their secret weapon and explained it. Cole had been right about the hunters using a biological weapon. The hunters planned to lower the wolves numbers by first fighting them and killing any that attempting to escape. Once their numbers dwindled the hunters would place pressurized bombs in the ground at the edge of the trees.

They would then release a toxic gas meant to attack the werewolves vital system, disintegrating them from the inside out. Even if they ran touching one of the sensors would only set off the toxic element earlier. It was sickening to hear the damage it'd do and Valentina could only hope that wolves like Mason and the female from earlier weren't in there now fighting.

"Team Foxtrot is asking for confirmation on the route," David said. Lara nodded, walking a little way with him and leaving Valentina with Markos.

Markos looked at the two hunters on her arms and they let go joining the other hunters at their position. Valentina took one look at Markos and turned to run, but only made it a few feet before she heard a bullet hit the dirt next to her. She knew it was dumb but she had at least wanted to try. The corner of Markos' lip turned up the slightest as he approached her, fingering a curl that had escaped her braid.

"You might've fooled your parents but you never once fooled me. That wolf from when I first encountered you, the one that almost ripped off my arm; is in there. I saw it when I went inside. I hope it dies even more painfully than all the others, for protecting you," Markos said.

Valentina did the only thing she could think off which was to spit in the mans face at that comment. She wouldn't believe his lies.

"I don't know why you hate me so much, but I hope my parents see you for who you really are. Some sociopath hell-bent on killing," she spat.