Chapter 38

The wolves kept fighting, despite the gas making it feel like they were moving in quicksand. Despite it sapping their strength. Despite it making their saliva bloody and their visions blurry. This gave the hunters the advantage, but they fought hard knowing they wanted to destroy their pack, and the rogues helped feeling as if they had something to prove.

The gas surrounded them on all sides, forcing them in the center of the woods. There was only 50 feet of clean air left before they faced the weapon.

The hunters used the gas to their advantage, dipping into the fog whenever the wolves had the upper hands on them. It was wearing the wolves down, and although it lowered the hunter's numbers they were still outnumbered.

Jaden backed up, his flank pressed against Zane's as they covered each other back and searched the fog for the hunters. They were both bleeding from multiple wounds, the blood matting their fur to their bodies. The gas prevented them from healing, and Jaden suffered from his own lesion on his hindleg.

Yasmin fought alongside a former rogue, both suffering from their own bullet wounds. Yasmin could barely stand upright having gotten shot not too long ago, and the weariness from the attempted healing kicking in. They had lost two rogues to the gas, only to also be cut down by hunters before their bodies could disintegrate.

Mason himself had just narrowly avoided being ended himself by the Russian hunter. The Russian had managed to land a bullet very close to puncturing his heart and one to his lung. He learned early on that this hunter didn't want to make him suffer. He wanted to end Mason as soon as possible. Mason had only managed to scratch the Russians chest causing four bleeding diagonal lines but was surprised when the cuts healed.

"A little advantage our scientists have developed thanks to your blood thanks to your blood," he had mocked. He shot at Mason again, forcing him to dodge it but he didn't have many places to go with the fog being behind him.

The hunter must've drunk a lot of their blood because every injury Mason placed on the human he recovered from as if he were a wolf himself.

"Since you took away my chance to kill an Alpha, I'll have to kill you instead," the Russian yelled, shooting with both guns.

Mason ran in one direction to avoid the bullet but got hit with the other making him give a howl of pain. Angered he ran forward at the hunter, snapping his jaw over the arm he had raised to block him. Pushing the Russian to the ground Mason bit down as hard as he could, hearing the bone shatter under his teeth and the Russian yell in pain.

Good, let him feel the same pain they felt. Mason bit down harder on the hunter's arm and yanked hard. It sending the hunter flying in one direction and then the other. He swung him around like a rag doll hearing the hunters arm and shoulders snap in multiple places. Finally releasing him the hunter hit a tree within the fog that had moved closer, forcing Mason to back up and bump into Jaden.

'There's still at least 20 hunters, and were running out of places to run.' Jaden said as the other wolves backed up to stand with them and the hunters circled the wolves.

The hunter were almost like zombies. They'd walked in and out of the fog, blood covering their bodies, but not slowing in their assault. Mason had even noticed a Hispanic woman and African American man resembling Valentina fighting amongst the hunters. They even smelled of their daughter.

'Never thought a hunter would be the thing to kill me. Was hoping I'd get Yasmin to be my mate before that,' Zane thought shaking his coat.

'Sure Zane, if we get out of here I'll consider that but seeing as we may not...' Yasmin said, dipping her head to growl at a hunter.