Chapter 24

Lara stormed into the hospital side stepping doctors, and officers with one goal in mind. She was going to find her kids and find out who did this to them, and they were going to pay. David followed behind her equally pissed off and glared at anyone who dared to stop them. They marched up to the front desk where the nurse stood ready to stop them.

"Ma'am you can't just walk into the E.R you need an appointment" she began but Lara cut her off.

"Where are my children!" Lara, she demanded, nose flared in anger.

"Ma'am please"

"I get a call telling me my son and daughter are in the E.R found injured and you expect me to wait for an appointment? If I wait any more than 10 minutes I will make sure you and every incompetent doctor in here, lose their license and get no higher than treating kids with colds. Am I understood!" Lara hissed glaring at the nurse who nodded and gestured to some other nurses behind the counter.

"we need their last names," she said voice wavering.

"Cruz," she said, and the nurse nodded again with the new information.

Behind her, David put a hand on his wife's shoulder grip tight. He shared her anger but suppressed his in a more controlled manner. They had been meeting with the other hunters discussing plans with allying hunter states when they had gotten the call about their kids. Driving very much higher than the speed limit they came to the regional hospital and now we're here.

"Your son is in pediatrics on the 2nd-floor room 12. Your daughter is on the 4th-floor room 4" the woman said and no sooner than she finished did Lara and David walk off.

"I'll go check on Mateo," David told his wife as they entered the elevator.

Clenching her jaw Lara nodded, "God help whoever dared to do this" she said, and David grunted in response.

He got off the elevator on the 2nd floor and Lara continued until she was on the 4th. Every second longer she took to get to her daughter the worry in her chest clenched. Opening the door to room 4 Lara saw her daughter look at her startled, and the male doctor next to her confused.

"I'm sorry do you have the authorization to be in here?" he asked then shut his mouth when Lara fixed him with a glare.

"I am her mother, what happened to her?" she demanded looking her daughter over, restraining to urge to go out now and find whoever did this to her.

Her daughter's curly hair was a tangled mess and her face, arms, and legs were marred with deep cuts and scratches. Valentina's usual vibrant chocolate skin was pale and dirtied. What was worse were the bleeding holes in her daughters' ankle, and the long bleeding cuts higher than those.

"We don't know yet, but it appears your daughter was attacked by some kind of animal. The cuts and scratches aren't too deep, but they could get infected. Her ankle is what I'm worried about-," he continued looking at Lara unsure of her presence there.

"Leave," she said coldly.

"Pardon me?" he asked giving her an odd look.

"You heard me. Leave!" she barked, and Valentina sat up in the bed.

"Mamí calm down," she said but her mother ignored her glaring at the doctor until he gave a deep exhale.

"I will be talking to the nurses to check your clearance here," he said brushing past her.

Lara closed the door behind him then turned on Valentina looking her daughter over closely again.

"What happened?" she asked briskly. The sooner she found out the sooner she could plan how to deal with this.