Chapter 28

After shifting back to get the hunter's attention, Mason and Jaden had run into 4 more of them. Initially, they had planned on leading them away. But after seeing them refuse to leave the woods they decided to hold them off instead. Especially when it seemed like they wanted to leave to meet the other hunters.

'Watch out' Mason called to Jaden, who dodged an arrow that had been heading for him.

The hunters were not going easy tonight, it looked like they meant to knock them out. He realized this when grenades were set off filling the woods with their poison. They were trying to trap them in place. The gas made them weaker and dizzy, but it wasn't going to stop them for long.

Mason ran towards the hunter with the arrows, but she jumped to the left rolling to avoid him. For humans, they seemed fast and if it wasn't for being shot, and the noxious gas they could've easily outmatched them. Turning Mason barreled on towards the hunter who quickly shot another arrow at him. Curving to the left he circled a tree coming up behind the hunter but stopped when another dropped down from the tree above. The new hunter's dagger was inches away from Mason's nose before he moved.

The hunter was taunting them and had been all night. Whenever they got one alone, the others would appear forcing them to back up and go on the defensive. Backing away from the new hunter, now throwing daggers, Mason ran a few feet into the trees and heard Jaden following him.

'They're not going to stop' he told Jaden as they stopped for the moment, listening.

'I know but I think they're just toying with us until we're too weak to fight back' Mason said huffing.

They heard the hunters communicate with each other about where they went and their new plan on following the wolves. They only had to hold them off a little longer, just so that Roland and Yasmin could get out of town.

'What if they didn't make it? We need to think worst case scenario.' Jaden said hazel eyes piercing his friends.

'If they caught them then we're going to get them back' Mason replied steely.

'That's not what I meant by worst-,' Jaden started but growled turning around.

Mason followed seeing the blonde hunter from before notch three arrows in her bow and release them. Once they flew, Jaden ran the opposite direction, while Mason jumped dodging. He ran towards the hunter who didn't back away as fast this time. Trapping her leg underneath his paw he saw the hunter glare at him, sliding a blade him a holster on her thigh.

He pulled back to avoid the blade, then saw the other two hunters appear equipped with their own weapons. Jaden knocked one hunter down but the other hunter with a shotgun took his place. His bullet grazed Mason's shoulder hissing when it touched his skin. He roared advancing on the hunter who turned and ran attempting to escape him.

"Everyone fallback, they've caught them" one of the hunters called to the others.

The hunter running from Mason jumped sliding into the bushes where he couldn't fit in this form. But hearing their words were what took precedent in his mind.

'They caught them. It couldn't be'

'Mason are we going after them?' Jaden asked trying to back a hunter into a corner while one trailed him.

Mason shook his head thinking. They couldn't have caught them, Yasmin was there and Roland. Maybe if he went now he could save them.

'Forget them, I'm going after Roland and Yasmin,' he told his friend, taking off in the direction of Roland's place.

Behind him, he heard Jaden growl then follow his friend through the woods running. Once they reached Roland's place Mason walked around the perimeter of his house, listening for any signs he could still be there.