Chapter 35

Mason met up with Jaden, wolves following in their path. Along with their original pack, Mason had 17 wolves that had decided to stay, and Jaden had somewhere around 13. That made 40 wolves in total, which was a lot more than Mason thought would stay. Jaden gestured his head for Mason to follow him, while the rogues talked to each other, and their pack stood to the side nervously.

'Do you have some idea what to do next? These wolves might've followed us but its only because they didn't know what else to do,' he explained.

'I know, but we can't leave now since were surrounded and Our pack can't afford to lose anymore. At this point were all going to have to fight.'

'Let's hope we have enough to combat the hunters,' Jaden said.

Mason nodded seeing the tension amongst the wolves rising. Even if they had temporarily worked together to escape they were still at odds with each other. Jaden fur began bristling when Olivia and Zane walked up to the both of them.

'Relax pup, we're here to talk. I get the feeling there's no time for fighting,' Zane said snorting.

Jaden relaxed a little out of confusion that Zane didn't regard him with the same hostility about being a traitor.

'Mason, can we talk? Alone.' Olivia asked, surprising all three of them. She directed it to Jaden, who looked to Mason for confirmation.

Mason nodded to let him go while he and Olivia walked away. They didn't go far before the white wolf sat down looking upwards at the sky. Out of respect, Mason waited for her to speak.

'I still don't know your motives for killing my mate, then running and leaving us to fend for ourselves without protection. I don't know if I could ever forgive you for that, but you have my deepest gratitude for what you've done for us today. We may no longer accept you but I didn't expect you to come back to save us," Olivia started but Mason didn't say anything.

He didn't want the gratitude for what he did. While he intended good there was still plenty of bad that came from killing Adam. He sure things still could've gone down another way. There was a small pause with Mason watching the white wolf as she looked longingly at the sky.

'I'm stepping down Mason. Well, it's not like I ever was Alpha but I don't think I can lead them anymore.' She continued, and Mason looked at her concerned.

'Are you disbanding the pack? What about all those lost wolves? Or orphaned wolves like Yasmin? Who will take them in now especially with the threat of rogues?' He asked almost rambling.

'Do you really care that strongly about what happens to those wolves?' Olivia asked him, cerulean eyes shining in the moonlight.

'Yes,' he said without hesitation.

Olivia nodded closing her eyes for a moment, 'After what happened I've been thinking. You did all of that for the pack, even when we shunned you, and you care so much for other wolves. You may not think it, but I believe you should go through with the ceremony to become Alpha.' Mason shook his head, but she cut him off.

'Even if you don't think you can, you were already halfway there Mason. You want to help them, and protect them, right? Adam and I had thought you'd make the perfect Alpha,' she said. Mason looked back through the forest imagining the group of wolves all gathered there waiting.

He didn't know if he was good at keeping others safe or keeping enemies away for long. Those rogues from the town were proof of that, but he knew he'd try his best no matter what. And if Olivia was right and his wanting to do the right thing made him Alpha material maybe it wouldn't hurt. It felt like the weight of the pack would be on him, but he could have help by his side. Olivia took Mason's silence as an answer and stood.