Chapter 32

"Valentina, what is taking you so long?" Cole snapped coming in the room but stopped when he saw her holding the chains.

"Um, I can explain," she said while Cole shut the door behind himself. He looked from the woman to Roland, then back to Valentina a question written all over his face.

"I promise it's not what it looks like, the hunters took a human. I don't know if it was by accident, or on purpose but we need to let him go."

Cole looked at Roland long and hard scratching his blonde hair. "Even if he's not a wolf he tried helping them escape; he's a sympathizer, Valentina."

"So that means he gets tortured? He can't recover like she can."

"They wouldn't kill him," Cole said, but the way he avoided her eyes told her he wasn't sure himself.

Anger Valentina didn't know she had flared inside her. She didn't know who to call responsible for it but this wasn't what they taught her.

"I thought hunters protected humans. Not put them in harm's way to promote their agenda," she whispered furiously.

"They do... We do protect them, but he..."

"He what cole? He asked for it by helping innocent wolves escape? I thought the hunters were better than this."

"Do you not trust your parents?" Cole fired back, frown prominent in his thin lips.

Valentina shook her head ignoring him, they didn't have time for this. Hunters could come back to the room any moment and Roland looked like he needed to go to the hospital. Turning back to the chains Valentina grabbed the knife she had picked up earlier and angled it at the opening of the lock. Maybe if she slammed it hard enough she could break it.

"Valentina please don't do this. If someone caught you then they'll label you as a sympathizer," Cole pleaded putting a hand on Valentinas shoulder but she glared at him.

"If I'm a sympathizer for believing innocent people shouldn't be involved then fine, but I know who my anger is directed towards. I don't know if the hunters do anymore themselves." She said slamming the knife down again, and hearing the lock crack the slightest bit.

Cole remained silent as he pulled out a dagger of his own, and jammed it inside the lock finally breaking the chains. Roland dipped forward in his chair groaning, and Cole put his arm over his shoulder supporting his weight. Seeing Valentinas confused looked Cole shook his head wearing a stoic expression.

"Let's go, before someone catches us." He mumbled heading towards the door.

Valentina nodded ready to follow him but stopped seeing the woman watching her. She got the impression the wolf didn't like her and while she wasn't fond of her either, she didn't think she should stay chained up. The hunters could do their plan without hostages.

"You're wasting your time." The woman said as Valentina took the lock and opened hers.

They came off easier and the woman fell forward almost hitting the floor until Valentina caught her. Ignoring her comment Valentina looked to cole and nodded at the door for them to leave. Cole opened it slowly, peering out into the hallway then gestured with his hand for Valentina to follow. He carried Roland faster than Valentina could the woman who dragged her feet. Cole led them to the opposite hallway, but it wasn't long before they heard footsteps. Thanks to Coles quick thinking they dove into what looked like a supply closet. they kept quiet in the small space hearing the hunters on the outside talking.

Once their voices passed Cole sighed, "We're lucky if we actually get out of here. They're leaving in 30 minutes, which means we have that much time to get out of here before they start searching the club for them."