I

C A R L O S

Six years later.

"Table 12, Mark pa-assist!" I called one of my staffs.

He quickly grabbed the orders from the counter and travelled through the shop to distribute orders. Nagulat ako ng biglang lumapit sa akin yung guard nung shop.

"Ma'am, nasa labas na po yung coffee beans from Italy." He said.

Oh goody! Sa lahat ng ini-import ng business ko, favorite ko yung coffee beans from Italy. Masarap siya sa kahit anong coffee types.

"Paki daan na lang sa likod, manong Norman. Thank you." I smiled.

The guard quickly left and assisted the delivery boys outside. At this time of the day, bandang 3:00 pm onwards, sobrang dami ng tao kaya I hired the most passionate people. No matter the degree of their academic background, as long as they can read, write and know how to do basic math and that they have good attitude, they're hired.

Kahit gaano pa katalino ang isang tao, kung ma-attitude yung tao, its kind of useless. That's why they say that the poor people has the kindest and warmest hearts of all people on Earth. I also believe in the person's individual and inner strength. As much as possible, I help them in the least I can para they know how to stand on their own. Kasi in the end, its either they'll retire, resign or get fired. Its not that they always have some people around for them to depend on.

I noticed that more and more people visits the shop. So I stood from my stool and took a tray with the customer's order. I paced through the shop and finally found table 23.

"One Caffé Mocha and one Iced Cappuccino." I smiled.

"Oh my! You're Tots Carlos right? You're playing for Foton?" The customer asked.

"Yes," I smiled again. I'm guessing they want a picture.

"Pwede po pa-picture?" The other customer asked giddily.

"Sure." I favored.

So they took a couple of pictures before they're finally done with me. Do I sound irritated? Well, slight. Sino ba naman hindi? Eh syempre I need to work pa.

I checked the time. 5:18 PM. Labasan na ng mga empleyado kaya dagsa ulit mga tao. Few minutes passed and I saw three familiar figures entered my shop. Agad kong nilapitan and guided them for a free table.

"Ate Kathy! So nice to see you again! Tagal po kitang hindi nakita," I said and hugged and made beso with her.

"Sinubsob ba naman kasi sarili sa pag-aaral." Ate Pia commented.

Ate Kathy just laughed and Paul — my staff — gave them the menu.

"Mukhang inexpand mo ng 'tong Lumiére ah." Kuya Alfred said and looked around.

"Ah yes po kuya, with hard work lang yan." I smiled.

I always have the small notepad sa bulsa ko in case na ganito nga, sobrang dami ng costumers. So I took all there orders at binigay yon sa mga barista ko. I made sure they are the finest, passionate and hard working employees. Sayang pinapasahod ko sa mga yan kung walang kwenta ang gawa.

Another bell rang on the counter. Which means another order was done and was ready for distribution. I took it and saw it was ate Kathy's orders.

"Uy Tots, free ka ba tomorrow night?" Ate Pia asked.

"Tomorrow night? Ano pong meron?" I asked back.

"Nicole invited us for a party, I think drinks are involved." Ate Pia answered.

"As in si ate Tiammy?" I asked again.

"Oo. You know she's busy with her volleyball clinic program, and she wants to celebrate because its a success," ate Kathy muttered and took a bite of her slice of red velvet.

"I've heard she's traveling across Metro Manila e." Kuya Alfred said.

"I'm not sure if I can go tomorrow night. Foton has training kasi." I replied.

"Oh. So pati si Isa?" Ate Kathy asked.

Her name echoed on my ears. This time, I felt no pain and my breathing didn't paced up. Unlike before, whenever I hear her name, I felt pain in my chest, then my breathing pattern changes, it quickens and my mind starts to think delusional thoughts. My actions interpret what my mind says, but those were the days when our break up was still raw. My illness triggers with her name, well that was five years ago.

"Hindi ko lang alam ate, I'll ask later." I answered.

Eventually they left, and so did I. Closing time is 10 PM. So since I was present here the whole afternoon, I was the last one to move out and closed the shop. It was just a sideline after college, I didn't expect na lalago yung business ko. So I decided to put effort and hard work, kasi in the end ako rin naman magbe benefit di ba?

Once I closed all the things that are needed to be closed and turned off, I shot a glance sa name ng shop. Lumiére Café. Named after what my mom wanted. Lumiére means light in French.

I grabbed my car keys and immediately went to my condo. I live alone, yes. I wanted to test my strength and ability as an independent woman — even if I live alone with my team mates in my college years.

Once I reached my condo, I waited the elevator to go down from the eighth floor. Before the elevator door opened, I felt my phone just vibrated.

From: Isabel
"Uy Tots, punta ka bukas?"

The elevator door opened and I entered.

To: Isabel
"Not sure e. Kasi may training tayo bukas."

I pressed the number 13 indicated in the buttons and the door closes. You know you can't easily get signal or even messages once your inside an elevator.

11, 12, 13.... The door opens.

I went for the left wing, since my condo's unit number is 1318. My phone vibrated again.

From: Isabel
"I'll try to attend if papayagan ni coach."

I hurried along, I was longing for my bed for the whole afternoon. I inserted my keys to the door knob.

To: Isabel
"Sige."

The door knob clicked.

Automatically, the lights opened once I entered my condo. I hanged my keys behind the door and dropped my phone on the bed. I removed my shoes and plopped down on my bed.

I sighed.

"Thank you Lord for another day without the psychosis in my head."

~~~

So ayon, 1k words per chappie ako on this story.