VIII

D O M I N G O

"Uy Ced!"

Napa angat naman ako ng ulo. I noticed na nasa cubicle ko si Buding, ano ginagawa niya dito? Tsaka yung isa ko pang officemate, nandito din.

"Ba't ka natutulog, Ced?" She asked.

Ako? Bigla naman siyang nagsnap ng fingers niya sa tapat ng mukha ko.

"Celine Elaiza Domingo, are you with us?"

I was frozen when I heard that very familiar and stern voice. Lagot.

"Yes po, ma'am Bea?" I mumbled and got to my feet.

"Why are you sleeping?" She asked.

Tang ina. Ano ba ginagawa ko?

"Sorry po, ma'am." I bowed my head. She whispered something to Buding and dun sa isa pa.

"I don't need an apology, I need your answer." Her very firm voice engulfed me. "Now, why are you sleeping?"

"Napuyat po." I answered. Which is true. She was quiet for a bit, then cleared her throat.

"Please attend to my office, now."

And she walks out. Sumunod naman ako. Kasalanan ko ba kung alas kwatro na ako nakatulog? So ano irarason ko? Leche kasi yung kagabi e! Bwisit yang butterflies na yan, hindi ako pinatulog. Lalo na yung mga naiisip ko.

Flashback (Third Person's POV)

The clock was ticking at 2:30 AM. Celine was having her staring contest with the ceiling of her condo unit.

"I can't freaking sleep." She mumbled.

She tried playing applications on her phone, read, eat, tire herself, she tried everything. But guess what, she's still awake. Wide awake.

Her mind dwells on what happened a while ago. The butterfly feeling sensation kept playing in her head, and yet, she kept the words of Jho intact.

"Bakit ganito? Sabihin mo naman self kung in love ka, hindi yung may pa-ganito kang nalalaman." She said to herself.

She even surfed the internet to look for remedies to fall asleep fast. She tried every position, every angle, and even the type of clothing just to fall asleep. But hey, she's still awake.

"Insomnia ba 'to?" She sat up straight. "Please, hell no."

When she lets her mind be blank, and instead of blank, her mind replaces them with the scenery she had with Tots on the beach few hours ago. The way she smiles, the way she talks, and the way she initiated the conversation. She seems perfect.

She shot her head back down to her pillow.

"Let me sleep, brainy." She whispered. What a traitor, her mind flashes different sceneries again. This time, its seems the impossible.

Her mind plays a scene where she and Tots were having coffee at Lumiére Café. They were smiling, no, laughing, at the moment they are sharing. She glances around and realizes that customers were not around. Just the two of them. When she glanced back, Tots held her hand, tightly. Then Tots asked her to be Tots' girlfriend.