chapter 4

***

***

My head was hanging low, I was gasping for air and cursing the school of Hando island. It was Monday of my last week of classes before the end of my high school experience and I almost couldn't believe what I was stuck doing. The teacher took our class to a beach just a short walk from the school instead of ordinary gym class and I purposely forgot my swimsuit, only to have him order me to go back and carry the cooler bag full of drinks that he forgot. 

I was cursing him and his forgetfulness the whole way back to the beach. It was really tough to carry the cooler bag down the stone stairway that lead to the ocean. It was half collapsing and I constantly had to watch out not to slip and accidentally roll down one of the cliffs that were around me. I was squinting my eyes under the scorching sound and I could hear the sound of laughter coming from the beach, while I was struggling to carry the heavy bag. 

My eyes grew wide with shock when a whole stair suddenly gave out and my leg slid forward. I let out a surprised shriek and I almost fell, but a shadow that jumped from the nearby rocks managed to catch me just in time. I felt a hand roughly grab my elbow and I fell against the person that stopped behind me. I let out a breath of relief, slowly looked back and narrowed my eyes to make out who it was.

Kim Jongin was staring at me with the deathly serious expression he usually had on his face. He was wearing black swimming shorts, but his dark hair was still dry and it seemed like he wasn't planning to get in the water. I frowned at the realisation and he raised an eyebrow with surprise at the sight of my sudden change of emotions. '' This is not fair. Why was I told to go back to the school when you didn't go swimming either? '' 

He scowled and let me go again. He was going to leave, but he stopped himself and glanced at the bag in my hands. He seemed to be thinking about it for a moment, then he reluctantly asked:  '' Do you want help with that? '' 

'' Your muscles look worse than mine, '' I flatly responded, lifted the heavy cooler bag and continued walking.

Jongin's eyebrow started twitching in annoyance and he stared after me in disbelief. '' This s what I get for trying to be nice? ''

In the end he still rushed after me, grabbed one part of the bag and helped me carry it to the bottom of the stairs. We dropped it on the sandy beach and we were instantly surrounded by classmates that were thirsty from playing under the sun. Haneul and Chanyeol almost managed to steal a sixpack of beer that belonged to the teacher, while I took my lemonade and sat in the shade again. I didn't mind staying back and watching the others have fun like this. It wasn't their fault that I hated swimming, but it seemed like Chanyeol and Haneul weren't going to deal with that so easily.

I was leaning against a rock and flipping through an old notebook full of doodles when the tall red head ran towards me. He shook his head and I cringed when drops of water flew from his wet hair and landed on the pages of my book. I was about to yell at him, but he interrupted me by holding some kind of pink coloured seashell in my direction and screaming in excitement: '' Look at what I found, Jian! Doesn't it look cool? ''