chapter 16

***

***

To say that the day started very unusually was an understatement.

It was the early morning of the end of summer festival and the preparations for the celebrations were already in motion. The workers of the inn woke up even before sunrise to make it squeaky clean and then go help the other inhabitants of the island with whatever they needed. I saw the cook's apprentice Chen holding three different pans at the same time when I walked past the kitchen and my nose was hit with the inviting scent of different types of noodles, kimchi soup and fish dishes. Kids were running up and down on the streets, screaming and gathering flowers for the little boat lanterns that they were letting out to sea to thank the gods for another great summer. It was another custom of the people from this island, who didn't want to take their happy days for granted and thought that they should stay grounded and grateful for all they had. Flower decorations and posters were getting hung up all around town and everyone seemed to be looking forward to the evening celebrations.

I was looking for Haneul to ask her who did she want to help with the preparations, when the first strange thing of that day happened. One of the maids told me that she was in the break room for employees with Chanyeol and I immediately ran in that direction. Everyone's excitement for the festival put me in a good mood too, but that changed as soon as I saw what my two best friends were up to.

'' The yellow magical girl! '' Haneul stroke a pose and held a lemon in the air like it was a magical girl wand.

Chanyeol raised his radish with a deathly serious expression on his face. '' The red magical girl! ''

'' The magical girl that is leaving, because honestly what the- '' I began and started backing away, but the two of them managed to catch me before I could leave. I was trying to crawl out of the break room and they were pulling me back in by my legs when two maids walked by. I looked at them with a pleading expression, but they just ignored me, knowing very well that if it wasn't me and Chanyeol, it would be them or one of the other workers of the inn. That was how I ended up holding a broccoli in the air and complaining that I had to be the green magical girl, because I thought it was always the most boring one of all. '' If anything, I fit the mysterious aura that the purple one usually has. ''

Haneul's craziness of that morning got inspired by an extremely outdated comic that she got from the town's convenience store. It was about three years old and she had no way of getting the other volumes, but she didn't seem to mind. She was going on and on about how she wanted to be just like a magical girl and now she finally thought about a way to do that. A guest's kid stole her cleaning supplies and she was planning to scare him, so he would stop doing things like that and be more obedient to his parents. In the end the young boy almost peed his pants from laughter when he saw us and snapped a million photos that I was sure he was going to put on the internet as soon as he'll leave the island. He still agreed to be a bit nicer from now on, so Haneul didn't even realise the embarrassment and the story about the lemon, broccoli and radish magical girls began to spread all around the island.