chapter 14

***

***

'' I can't believe we are actually doing this! ''

'' I can, '' I emotionlessly responded to the overly excited Haneul. '' I always knew you were the type of person who would end up breaking the law. Trespassing also sounds like a crime that totally fits someone like you. ''

Haneul carelessly giggled and ran through her short and messy blonde hair with her hand. '' Thank you! ''

I rolled my eyes and gritted my teeth in annoyance. '' For the last time ever... When I say 'someone like you', it's usually not really meant to be taken in a positive way. ''

She blinked with confusion, tilted her head to the side and innocently mumbled: '' I don't get it. ''

I let out a deep sigh, while massaging my temples and trying to control my temper. '' Let's just get what we came here for and leave... By the way, what exactly are we looking for? ''

The sun was shining through the opened window and papers were flowing around in the slight summer breeze. Three suitcases were stacked up next to a wardrobe and a bunch of documents were covering the desk. I nearly tripped on some empty soju bottles that were on the ground and Haneul, being the maid that she was, could barely stop herself from cleaning the crumbs that were left from today's breakfast and covering the bedsheets. It would be completely fine for her to do something like that if the room where we currently were wouldn't belong to someone else.

Haneul was fixated on figuring out what exactly was going on in Jongin's family and I ended up getting dragged along, while Chanyeol was keeping watch in the hallway and pretending to be looking for the two of us. I felt extremely uncomfortable standing in someone else's room like this and I had no idea how we would get ourselves out of trouble if someone would spot us. I also didn't even want to begin to imagine what lady Seo would do to us if she would find out we were doing. This was definitely one of the main violations in her personal rule book, right next to the golden 'the guest is always right'.

Haneul's attention was almost lead elsewhere by a laptop, a fascinating object that she never really got to play with, but I managed to convince her to focus on the documents that were scattered around the desk in the room, while I looked everywhere else. She didn't find anything besides bills, contracts and notes about the hotels that the family owned and I didn't have any luck either. I was just going to suggest we give up, when I spotted something that was hidden under one of the pillows. My eyes slightly widened in curiosity when I found an agenda, a small black notebook that was completely packed with additional pieces of paper that were sticking out from the side. I turned towards Haneul and raised it in the air in victory and that was Chanyeol suddenly came rushing inside the inn room.

'' Lady Kim is coming back and she is together with lady Seo! '' he announced and his eyes were wide in panic.

My hear skipped a beat in fear, while Haneul slapped his shoulder and hissed: '' What are you doing here?! You were supposed to stay in the hallway, warn us and stall for as long as possible! ''