chapter 10

***

***

I never thought I would be lucky enough to find friends to share my pain with, friends who would take some of the burden of my shoulders and understand me even when I couldn't understand myself.

I could barely believe there were people who were ready to accept me the way I really was.

The plate washer was scrubbing dishes in the sink and whistling to himself, the smell of the fish soup that was being served for lunch still hung in the air and a pile of ingredients for dinner was already gathered on one of the counters. The kitchen staff left for their usual afternoon break and we were able to have the place all to ourselves. The plate washer promised not to tell on us and at first I wasn't exactly sure what we were doing here and I was worried that Haneul was going to try to cook something, but I was still curious. The rows of spices on the shelves, the numerous different pots and the aprons hung up on a hanger by the entrance all amazed me. The kitchen was a world completely different to mine and this was my first time really entering it and taking a look around.

'' This is not what I was expecting when you told me to come here for lunch! '' Chanyeol cried out and buried his face in his hands in desperation. The three of us were sitting on three wooden crates typically used for storing food and the number of plates in front of us was growing with each moment that passed. I couldn't really blame Chanyeol for his excessive reaction, since it did seem like he had a tough day at work. There was a fresh ice cream stain on his straw hat and his face was covered with fading doodles, making it obvious that he probably made the mistake of falling asleep on the job. I tried asking him if he wanted to talk about what happened, but he only shook his head and mumbled something about how horrifying kids could be.

Haneul nodded in agreement. '' I agree! My stomach is going to go boom! ''

'' Boom! '' Chanyeol seriously repeated and wiggled his hands in front of his stomach.

The two of them turned towards me, put their best pleading smiles on and exclaimed: '' Jian, eat! ''

'' What, why me? '' I protested and glared back at them with anger.

Chen pointed at me with his cooking spoon and dramatically exclaimed: '' You said you'll help! ''

I raised my hands in defence and yelled back: '' I had no idea that meant eating a million servings of the same kimchi fried rice! ''

Haneul was really excited about lunch that day and she was going on and on about how we were eating for free because she agreed to help Chen. The cook was practicing and trying to perfect his fried rice dish before presenting it to the chef of the kitchen. I was looking forward to it at first, because I knew that the boy was a good cook, but it quickly turned in to a nightmare. He kept changing the recipe, changing the smallest things and making new dishes and we had to eat countless servings just to tell him our opinions and he wouldn't feel bad.