The Meaning of Existence

The strange man in the white robe stands in front of a door integrated with iridescent lights that doesn't look at all natural. He swipes something with a card and the door slides open. My heart almost jerks in shock and was shoved by one of the guards to walk forward.

I glare at them, but they remain silent like mere puppets. 

I'm being led to a room with no windows. Streaks of lights integrated on the wall loses the meaning of its naturalness. The morning sunshine ceases and white creased cloths topple on beds. I scrutinize at my surroundings, wondering why I've been taken here. The walk has been silent and unsettling. 

Nothing fazes me except for how this person knows my name. 

He stands beside a concealed cylindrical tank that's heavily hidden by a thicker cloth. Through the eyes of a normal human without the support of technology, they could barely see the life essence within that frame. It's not burning with heat like normal vessels do. The person's lungs is strangely breathing at a constant rate.

I expected a dead body to be behind this tank, but instead, blue streaks of light embodies the vessel. I'm unable to see who the figure is, yet I know that it's a body succumbed by a type of water. 

"So, SeokJin, my boy, what have you been doing in that girl's house? How far did you threaten her to keep your secret concealed? Have you ever thought of her as a meal before your very own eyes? How much pain did you inflict on that child, hm, to the point where there are bruises on her nape?" 

I don't answer him and stand my ground. I hadn't meant to hurt MinYoung in any way possible. I admit I treated her harshly and I have no excuses. It's just my impatience, but even I can't control myself for that. That was one way to imprint on MinYoung. I didn't want to harm her. 

She's a vulnerable being. 

I wanted to protect MinYoung. 

The cocky grin is evident on his face. I don't like his cunning attitude and neither do I like his character. Although he's just standing there, if it weren't for these constraints around my wrists, I would not resist pouncing and scratching that face of his. 

"Argh!" 

I drop down, my weary legs barely support my weight at the sudden electric jolts zapped on my back. My body cringes at the sudden attack and my torso quavers at the shock. Drawing out a rasped breath, I was forced to stand up again. I didn't resist and tolerated the remaining electric shocks flowing through my body.

"A person's life is valuable, as people might interpret it. We were created so perfectly to live in this beautiful world. The essence of a human's life is so precious that containing its existence for a long period of time becomes a miracle. It is so often that family members can't leave their loved ones. Accidents happen and so are their lives taken too. Don't you agree with me, SeokJin?" He grins from ear to ear and I scowl at him. 

Unaffected, I glance away and an exposed cylindrical tank comes to my attention. 

It's empty compared to the one in front of me. There's no body, but there's water. 

"What do you want with me? If I have anything to do with this, go ahead. Don't you dare lay a finger on her." I glare at the bastard, his smile doesn't cease to disappear. My stomach growls in anger and disgust just by standing close to this pest. 

"I just wanted to gift you with a present, that's all. I'm not here for the girl. She doesn't contribute a role in this world of mines. She has her Father, you see and I'm not interested in them any longer."

His words sound menacing in its simplest way. It's foreshadowing at the same time. I can't tell what motives he has behind his intentions. 

He tugs the white cloth swiftly and the fear from before transcends into a wave of numbness. 

"What is this?!" I bellowed, gently touching the tank with a drumming heart. The face of the body is exactly like mines. The form of the naked figure resembles my own. His eyes are closed. He's not moving at all, but the life exists within him.

There's something attached on his mouth. Bubbles form around him and he's not thrashing about in this tank.

How long has he been inside? Why does he have the same body and face like my human form? 

What is going on?

None of the guards had stopped me from approaching this mahogany. The horror that stands in front of me. He doesn't look to be in pain, rather, he's immobile to any pain at all. 

"Haven't figured it out yet? That's you of course." 

"Liar! What am I then?!" I shout at the top of my lungs and look back at him. The two guards have their weapons aimed towards me, but I'm not afraid. He puts one hand up and they lower their guns down. 

My hands are shaking. The body is floating in water. It doesn't look like an ordinary type of water. I have no idea what it is and I've never felt this weak before. 

I don't want to jump to conclusions. 

He can't be my twin brother. It's impossible. If he were, I would've known. Father would've mentioned it to me from before. My siblings would at least tell me everything they know. I trust them ever since we escaped here. There was no plausible explanation as to the reason why we were here in the first place, but the memories were mostly white and lucidly blank. 

I may be a little bit different in terms of transforming manifestations, yet I still hold the same capability as them. I've been told truthful stories from the mouths of my family. Jungkook foretold our constant journeys and migrations from one area to another. There was a reason for that. 

They wouldn't hide secrets from me, I know that ... but ... do I really believe in myself? How am I so sure that they aren't fabricating white lies? 

Do I doubt my own family members?

"Subject SJ92.2, you are the successful test number two we have so far in prolonging human life." He grins, throwing the piece of cloth behind him. He presses multiple buttons on the tank and somehow, my body feels lethargic yet numb. He's not doing anything directly to me, albeit the effect is there lingering around me. 

The bubbles intensify inside the tank. However, the figure inside remains sleeping as if under a spell. He doesn't budge from the eternal slumber. Nothing affects him more than I feel the overwhelming pressure. 

My vision begins to darken and dizziness ensues. I can't focus on sharp images and figures. Oddly, breathing seems tough when I see my 'other' self inside that tank. Is that person really me? Why does it hurt to see myself from here? 

Who is the first subject? 

Why did Jungkook mention Father's curiosity to further explore the underground levels? What was he aiming to find in here?

Who am I?

"Hold him."

04.05.18 - i guess three more chapters then before it's completed ...?