Kasamatsu Yukio

You first saw him when you were dragged by your friend who was a huge fan of the team’s ace to watch the basketball club’s practice game.

“He’s so amazing, right [Name]-chan?”

However it was not Kise who caught your eye but it was the player wearing the jersey number 4. You find him amazing, being able to lead the team well. He seems so reliable. And although you don’t know much about basketball, you can tell that his plays are awesome, too.

“[Name]-chan?” she called out, snapping you out of your thoughts.

“Uh…I’m sorry. What was that again?”

“I said Kise-kun’s amazing, right?”

“…Uh yeah… [Friend’s Name]-chan, who is the player no.4?”

“That’s Kasamatsu-san, Third Year Class A…could it be…you like him [Name]-chan?”

“Like?! I-I don’t know…It’s not like I know him personally but…I guess I find him awesome…”

“Oh… [Name]-chan’s crushing on Kasamatsu-san~” she teased.

“Shhh! [Friend’s Name]-chan you’re loud! Someone might hear you.” You said, slightly embarrassed. She just giggled to herself.

***

Then you had an unexpected encounter with him.

You went to a restaurant where you and [Friend’s Name] are supposed to meet up. She was not there yet so you waited for her. You sipped on your drink and glanced at your phone from time to time to see if she had texted you.

Your phone vibrated. It was because of a message from your friend.

[I’m sorry, I can’t come…]

After reading it, you had decided to leave. Then a band went to the stage and started playing a song, and coincidentally it was your favorite song. You changed your mind. You thought of listening to them perform for a while.

“Such a nice voice…”

You could not believe your eyes when you saw who was singing and playing the guitar—it was Kasamatsu.

After they performed, you decided to go home.

It was already dark and you were about halfway through the path way back to your house when you realized that your wallet is missing.

“Damn it! Where’s it now?” you checked your bag for the nth time but still no trace of your wallet.

You heard your phone ring. You grumpily glanced at the screen to see an incoming call from an unknown number.

“Hello?”

“A-Are you [F-Full Name]-san?” a stammering male voice said from the opposite line.

“Yes, speaking. May I know who are you and how did you got my number?”

“Y-You left your wallet here in [Name of Restaurant]. I found your number written in your ID inside your wallet. I contacted you so I can return it to you. I-I’m here at [Name of Restaurant].”

“Oh. Thank you. I’ll go there now.” And then you started to head back to the restaurant.

And to your surprise, the one who found your wallet was no other than Kasamatsu.

“K-Kasamatsu-san?!”

“E-Eh? H-How did you know m-my n-name???” he said, stammering.

“Umm…because I study in Kaijo…The basketball team is pretty popular so…”

“A-Ahh…I-Is t-that so…?” he replied with his usual stammer, sheepishly scratching the back of his head.

“I’m [Full Name] from First Year Class B.”

“K-Kasamatsu Y-Yukio…T-Third Year Class A…Here’s y-your wallet [L-Last Name]-san,” he gave you your wallet.

“…I-I have to go.” with that he hurriedly got up from his seat.

“Wait Kasamatsu-san…can you stay for a bit? I’ll treat you for coffee…as thank you…”

“Uh…T-Thanks but y-you really don’t have to…I-I have to g-go…”

“Please…I insist…I promise we won’t take too long.”

“O-Okay…if y-you insist…”

“Congratulations on winning your practice game last week, Kasamatsu-san.”

“T-Thanks…We’ll do even better n-next t-time…”

“Kasamatsu-san, why are you stammering?”

“Uh…w-well…that’s because…”

“Relax. It’s just me, okay.” You gave him a gentle smile. You saw a faint blush on his face. He just nodded in response.

“Anyway, I never knew you’re also a good musician.”

“You saw me p-perform?!” his blush became darker.

“Yup. I really liked your voice…and the way you play guitar…” now it was your turn to blush because of your little confession.

 “T-Thank you…Actually, only a few people know that I’m also into music.”

“Then today, I became one of those few people…”

“Y-You can say it that way…”

He’s so different from what you have expected. He’s different from the intense basketball team captain you saw in that practice game. Right now as you talk to him, he seems gentler than what you thought. The constant blush in his face and his stammering voice made him look, for the lack of proper word, cute in your eyes.

After having coffee with him, you decided to go home.

“Uh… [L-Last Name]-san…”

“Huh?”

“A-Are you going to walk home alone?”

“Yes. Our house is not that far from here anyway.”

“…I-It’s dangerous, y-you know…I’ll w-walk you h-home…”

“Eh? Y-You don’t have to, Kasamatsu-san…”

“I-I insist…”

***

You finally reached your house. And before getting inside, you softly pressed your lips on his cheek.

“Thank you Kasamatsu-san…for returning my wallet…for walking me home…and most of all for your time. I had fun and I got to know more about you. See you next time!”

You entered the gate, leaving a blushing Kasamatsu standing there.