Chapter 40 - 3 Years Later, Canada

Soundtrack for this chapter, "Open Your Eyes by Snow Patrol," vid on the side.

Chapter 40 – 3 Years Later, Canada

3 years later, Canada.

“Sige, mom, hihintayin na lang kita sa park. Bye.” Binaba na ni Monique ang cellphone niya and then she saw the innocent looks of the children staring at her while also waiting for her to say something. 

“Uhm, kids,” she started and the looks of the kids still didn’t change. 

Hindi niya tuloy maiwasang matawa. Talagang napakainosente ng mga ito na nakatingin sa kanya. Well, of course, most of the kids were only six or seven. 

“Teacher, why are you laughing?” Martha, the blonde kind who was sitting in the front row, innocently asked.

“No, I’m.. I’m just really happy. Teacher Monique is really happy seeing you here, listening to her attentively.” She smiled at them and the kids’ expressions still didn’t change. 

Monique breathed hard and smiled at them more attentively, “Okay, so kids. Teacher will have to dismiss you early. Uhhm, Teacher has something to do right now so that’s why.. Will that be okay? Don’t worry, we’ll have to see each other next week and it’s snowing outside…” she winked. Alam niyang gustong-gusto ng mga ito na maglaro sa labas, especially when it’s snowing. The kids always love to play snowball fight or building a snowman. 

“Yipee! Thank you teacher!” kaagad nagsitayuan ang lahat ng mga bata at nilapitan siya. Isa-isa itong niyakap siya at pagkatapos ay umalis din kaagad sa classroom. 

“Be careful!” she told them as they moved out from the room. Hindi maiwasan ni Monique na mapangiti habang nakatingin dito. She was really happy teaching those kids. She really was enjoying teaching the children. Natutuwa kasi siya sa mga mukha nito, expressing innocence and playfulness at her. It always made her heart softened. Masayang-masaya talaga siya kasama ang mga bata.

---

Monique immediately buried her hands into the pockets of the black sweater she was wearing as she walked off through the way in going to the park where she would meet her mom, Gia. Talagang malamig na malamig ang simoy ng hangin habang naglalakad siya papunta sa destinasyon niya.

It was already three years since she started living here permanently in Canada. Tatlong taon na ang lumipas nang mangyari ang lahat ng iyon. Marami-rama na ring nangyari sa buhay niya sa mga taong iyon. Because of the things that happened into their lives, she had really learned a lot from it. Especially in dealing with life. 

It was also a year ago since she regained her vision again. For the first year, when she became blind, she gonna admit na mahirap talaga mag-adapt sa new environment niya, nahihirap nga siya mismo kahit ang pag-upo lang sa upuan, of course she could not see where she would sit.

But with the help of her family, unting-unti na rin siyang nasasanay. Until the day she less expected, nakahanap ng donor ang mommy niya sa Canada na pwedeng makadonate sa kanya ng mga mata. Then everything changed again.

Now, with her new set of eyes, masayang-masaya siyang tinatanaw ang mga magagandang lugar na nakapaligid sa kanya. And because of the chance, now, she entered teaching children. With the help of her aunt na tumulong sa kanila rito sa Canada, nakahanap siya ng trabaho—generally, being a teacher. 

Hindi niya alam pero.. masaya na siya sa buhay niya ngayon. Yes, she committed so many mistakes from the past and regretted everything about it.