Joking John

Two Weeks Later

"Andersen, this was clearly not a suicide. It was most certainly murder," Sherlock pronounced after glancing at the victim's body, "The victim is obviously right handed but the wound suggests a left handed attack."

"Meant to look like a suicide?" Lestrade queried.

"Yes. Given the deliberate nature of the wound I'd say that the murderer had a close personal connection- likely a sister from what I deduce."

"Boss, we just identified him as Barry Hayes. He's got two sisters." Donovan interrupted before resuming her phone conversation. Andersen scowled and Sherlock smirked.

"Excellent. Gavin, if one of the sisters has a broken nail on her left hand, arrest her."

"How?"

"Went for the kill and it cracked off," Sherlock bent down and held up a severed acrylic nail, "See?"

"Alright. If one of them has a broken nail arrest them." The DI repeated.

"Yes. Hop to it then, Geoff." Lestrade rolled his eyes and walked off to contact the suspects.

"Seriously? That easy?" John questioned.

Sherlock hummed, "Ridiculously easy once I saw the nail."

"Mmm." The detective handed the nail to Andersen and John followed him away from body. They had another potential client at Baker Street waiting for them. They let Lestrade know that they were departing before flagging down a taxi.

Sherlock was going over the newly solved case with John in the taxi when his phone vibrated. To the blogger's surprise the brunette immediately took it out and unlocked it, "Is that Greg? Did they already catch the sister?"

"No." Sherlock typed quickly. The tiny smirk on his face interested John.

"What, then? Have you got a girlfriend?" The brunette froze for a second.

Sherlock knew that John had meant it as a joke. He hadn't told anyone, not even Mycroft, about his ongoing association with A. But it was enough for him to look over at John, "Come again?" He hadn't seen much reason to tell anyone that he was corresponding regularly with a mysterious woman, and still didn't.

"Did you find a girlfriend that you haven't told me about?"

"No." Sherlock looked back at his messages.

"Then who would merit such attention?" John asked

"An associate of mine. I'm answering a question for them." Sherlock replied.

"Associate?"

"Yes, John, keep up."

"I don't know, even an associate wouldn't get such a fast reply."

"Really, John, I got the message and I'm not presently occupied with a case so I answered them faster than I normally might."

John had a small, mischievous smile, "Seriously, Sherlock, is it a woman?"

"I don't see why their gender would interest you."

"Okay then. Have you got a boyfriend then?"

"Nope."

"So-"

Sherlock exhaled, "John, fine, it is a female."

"Molly?"

"No."

John finally decided to stop pressing him, seeing that Sherlock wasn't going to answer anymore than what he had. It then dawned on him that it was probably one of his network reporting in about something or other. Sherlock didn't normally speak about his network and didn't enjoy being interrogated anyways. It's probably nothing. If it was important he'd tell me.

A texted back.

He smirked when he got her reply

Intriguing

Intriguing.

Thank you for reading!!