Reciprocation

"Is that a sufficient reason for you, Adelaide?"

"Y-Yes, Sherlock..," Her eyes were dilated and focused on him, "Y-Y-You actually like me?"

"Yes. I have had these feelings for some time," Suddenly shy, he lowered his gaze as his cheeks blazed pink, "A-And I know that the attraction is mutual. So... I hope that you would be interested in pursuing a deeper relationship with me."

She brightened, "What you were doing this morning- it wasn't an experiment?"

"That wasn't an experiment. I was attempting to flirt with you to pique your interest before asking you on the date." He still didn't lift his gaze to meet hers.

"That makes more sense then. I wasn't exactly sure how to interpret it," Adelaide smiled gently at him and reached out, taking one of his hands in hers, "So... you'd like for us to go out? As a couple?"

"I believe the modernly applied term is dating, and yes," He finally made eye contact with her again, gripping her hand, "I have no relevant previous experience with romance, but I will try my best to be the partner you deserve, if you would allow me to be your boyfriend, Adelaide."

She nodded and smiled sweetly, "I would love to go out with you."

"Really?"

"Yes, Sherlock!" He broke into a smile and she stepped forward to embrace him. He was shocked at first but quickly wrapped his arms around her, savoring the moment. This was a lot easier than I thought it would be. They hugged for another minute and then she pulled away, a renewed blush on her cheeks.

"What?"

"... I've never been kissed on a first date before."

"Was it too forward of me to have kissed you?"

"No, not at all! Although it was a surprise."

"... A good surprise?"

"Yes."

Sherlock stroked her hand and his lips quirked up, relieved that he hadn't given her a bad kiss. Knowing that she had work the next day and that they'd been out exceptionally late anyways, he decided to end the night there, "I'm afraid it's time for you to head in, Adelaide. I've kept you out too late."

"Yes, I suppose it is," She agreed and sighed almost sadly, "Well, thank you for tonight, Sherlock. It was wonderful."

"That it was, Adelaide." His eyes flashed to her lips and he caught himself wanting just one more before leaving for the night.

She saw this and stood on her tip-toes, planting a kiss on his cheek. It lasted a few seconds and then she lowered herself back to the ground, "For those three others."

Not to be outdone, Sherlock took the opportunity and leaned down to kiss her on the lips once more. When he peeled away, Adelaide giggled, "What now?"

"Just a feeling," She reached behind her and unlocked her door, "I'd better get in and you need to head back home."

"Indeed. Good night, Adelaide."

"Good night, Sherlock."

Sherlock waited until she was safely inside before exhaling a long held in breath of relief and joy. He couldn't restrain himself from jumping into the air with excitement. Mission Accomplished! Adelaide is my girlfriend! He couldn't wipe the silly grin off his face the whole taxi ride back to Baker Street.

Adelaide got in and dashed to the bedroom, jumping onto her mattress and burying her face in the pillows to let out a suppressed squeal, "Sherlock Holmes is my boyfriend!!"

And those were the best kiss I've ever gotten, let alone on the first date. I almost melted to the floor!

The next morning when she got to work, she found a small vase of fresh red roses waiting for her on her desk with a brief note.

To signify our new relationship. -Sherlock

Adelaide giggled and smiled giddily to herself, "I'm glad it wasn't a dream after all."

Thank you for reading!!