Brotherly Dispute

That Night

Sherlock whipped his bow around in sharp figure eights, finding some enjoyment in the crisp whoosh sound that came from it. His group intervention had finally commenced and dispersed. It had been hours of coaxing, chiding and sharing of suggestions and tips. Sherlock could no longer go back. He had finally admitted his attraction to Adelaide in front of five witnesses and they would not let him back out.

He was essentially starting from scratch. All of the knowledge that he had employed when he had seduced Janine to get close to Magnussen had been promptly deleted after that conundrum. And even then, it was all an act. It wasn't real.

This was real. His feelings toward Adelaide were not fake. And in almost every way, he would have to approach her differently. She was not Janine- he wouldn't, couldn't, seduce her. He knew she reciprocated his feelings and thus the strategy would instead be to woo her. But since he had never been in a real romantic relationship before, he was in unknown territory and therefore was unsure of how to move forward.

Sherlock heard all too familiar footsteps ascending the stairs and his neutral expression soured. He had hoped that this meeting would have happened later, but of course his dear brother caught wind and just had to visit.

"I hear you are caught in the throes of sentiment, brother mine," Mycroft tutted, stepping slowly into the living room and twirling his umbrella, "Adelaide Cavanagh at least seems decently intelligent. Really, Sherlock-"

"How long have you known, Mycroft?"

"Since the cameras saw you abandon your paraphernalia and rush out of the flat after a few minutes on your phone. I then took the liberty of hacking your mobile and perusing through every message. I have since monitored your conversations and meetings." Mycroft answered and sat down in John's chair.

"I'm not surprised," Sherlock stopped swinging his bow and angled an intense look at his brother, "Spit it out, blood."

"I am certain you already know that I disapprove of your decision to pursue a sentimental relationship of any kind, let alone romance."

"Yes, well..," He hummed, "You're not on charge of my life. I hardly need anyone's approval anyways."

"Love is a disadvantage. Sentiment is a human error."

"Then perhaps it isn't, Mycroft."

The British Government scowled, "This is unwise, Sherlock. Never let your heart rule your head."

"I am not letting it rule my head, Mycroft. And seeing as you have no experience with romantic pursuits, I shall say now that I will not be asking you for advice and opinions."

"She is a goldfish, Sherlock. Merely another idiot who happens to catch your eye more than others."

This caused Sherlock to set his jaw, "No, Mycroft. She is not a goldfish."

Mycroft smiled sarcastically, "Oh? Then what is she?"

Sherlock smirked a bit, "A Bird," His brother was and wasn't impressed with the chosen species. The detective tsked, "Is that all, Mycroft?"

"Is it?" The two narrowed their eyes at each other, "Sherlock, she is an... educated idiot at best and you are a self proclaimed sociopath- and a genius. You simply are not compatible. She is not compatible as a partner."

Sherlock hummed and tilted his head, "You don't know that. You're not always right and right now, I'm certain you aren't."

Mycroft got to his feet, "Disappointing, brother mine."

Sherlock wasn't fazed, "If I was only younger than you, I might take that to heart and believe I was an idiotic fool like everyone else, brother mine."

"You're actually going to allow sentiment to take over?"

"I am simply opening up to it."

Mycroft tsked and shook his head, "Just remember then, Sherlock, that all hearts are broken eventually."

"Mmm, but you can't handle one."

At that, Mycroft spun on his heel and left as quickly as he'd come. Sherlock exhaled and got up to play his violin, "Tedious..."

Thank you for reading!!