Expertise (II)

While Lestrade stood dumbstruck, John smiled and walked over to Adelaide. They shook hands, "Hello, Miss Cavanagh."

"H-Hello, Doctor Watson. I-It's an honor to meet you." She greeted. John was pleasantly surprised by the firmness of her handshake. As a military man, it spoke volumes.

"A pleasure," He responded and then turned to Sherlock, "This is who you've been texting and running off to for months, isn't she, Sherlock?"

Sherlock didn't seem alarmed with John's hasty realization, "Yes, John."

"So the freak has a girlfriend now too?" Donovan's voice sliced through their conversation and all heads turned towards her, "She doesn't look like much either. I bet she's freaky too." She had come looking for them and while she took the chance to belittle Sherlock Holmes every chance she got, it was rare for her to bully others who were with him.

John, Sherlock and Lestrade were stunned by Donovan's harsh words. Lestrade, having recovered fron the shock of meeting Adelaide, then assumed a scowl, "Sergeant, that was out of line."

"Sir-"

"Just go, Sally. We'll be around shortly," Lestrade ordered and the sergeant huffed before reluctantly obeying, sending another scalding look towards Sherlock. The detective himself was debating how he would repay Donovan as the three men turned back to Adelaide. Her eyes were glazed over and she looked more than a little hurt. Lestrade frowned and walked up to her, "I apologize for her behavior, Miss Cavanagh. That was uncalled for."

Adelaide snapped out of her daze and looked up at him as he extended his hand to her. She shook it, "A-Apology accepted, sir."

Sherlock pursed his lips and stepped closer to her, "Pay no mind to Donovan, Adelaide. She is not fond of me or my abilities and stirs up as much trouble as she can." Adelaide nodded slowly.

"I see." Was all she said. One of her companions came around.

"Hey, Adelaide, we're waiting on you. You're in charge this go, remember?" He called. Her head snapped up and she brightened a bit.

"O-Of course, Robert! I'm coming!" She called back and hurried to catch up with him. She turned her head back to the three as she left, "U-Um, pleasure to meet you, Doctor Watson and Detective Inspector Lestrade." Then she darted around the Lorry and disappeared with Robert.

"Gary, do tell Sally restrain from bullying Adelaide," Sherlock remarked coldly and then followed after Adelaide, "Come along, John." John exchanged glances with Lestrade and then they followed their brunette friend.

The three waited as Adelaide and her team entered the house first- mainly to get an accurate estimate of the poached animals inside and to ascertain whether the scene was safe for the other officers who would, as Sherlock indelicately put, screw up because of their idiocy and get themselves hurt or harm the animals. Approximately fifteen minutes later, Robert and another team member came back out. They came up and Robert reported, "This is a serious poacher. At least two hundred are in there. Most of them are exotic birds, the others range from beetles to amphibians and reptiles. A couple mammals too. We're going to have to bring in at least another Lorry."

"I presume it is safe for the rest of us to go in?" Sherlock asked.

Robert nodded, "As long as everyone wears gloves and doesn't touch or poke the animals."

"Names?" Lestrade asked.

"Doctor Robert Davis and Bruce Felton." The other replied. Robert was the team veterinarian and Bruce was an entomologist- an insect specialist. The other member of the team was Robert's vet assistant Kevin Beasley. After introductions Sherlock strode into the house.

The sounds of hundreds of animals met him upon his entry. Squawks, chatters, shrills and several more calls echoed into the foyer from the hallway. Sherlock pulled on a pair of latex gloves and started to search for Adelaide.

As he peeked into room after room, filled with birds and reptiles of every color, shape and size, he deduced that they were dealing with an experienced poacher with plenty of resources- which entailed a high demand for the poached species.

He finally located Adelaide in what would have been a dining room. This room in particular housed thirty terrariums of variable sizes. Mostly amphibians and insects- frogs, salamanders, tarantulas and even scorpions. Adelaide was bent over a tightly sealed terrarium containing a large, active population of black and orange beetles, "Here you are. What have you found so far?"

She looked up at him for only a second, "W-Well, there's a lot to consider. I haven't seen everything on the premises so I can't make a sound conclusion just yet. But this is definitely poaching on a massive scale."

"I thought you weren't an insect expert?"

"I'm not, officially, but I know a lot because many birds are insectivores. Just like I know about mammals and marine life. They just fit into my specializations in ornithology and herpetology." She replied. She was still studying the beetles.

"These seem to have captured your interest," He remarked, "Why?"

"Because this is an entire colony of beetles. Most of the other animals are alone or in mated pairs. This is a colony, which means that they aren't on the market as exotic pets."

"Then..?"

She looked back up at him, "This colony is bred for one purpose. These beetles are live prey- food for one of the species here. And more importantly, they're not typical beetles."

"Go on?"

"These are poisonous Choresine beetles. They're highly toxic to humans."

Thank you for reading!!