Asides

John hung up with Mary and sighed, running his fingers through his hair. Sherlock had been pulling information all day from what seemed to be thin air. Yet the consulting detective had somehow managed to track down Miss Button by evening. Minus a few scrapes, he had also gotten them through the confrontation with the gang responsible without the need for a hospital visit, "Who was giving him that information?" He mused aloud.

"Mm?" Lestrade hummed, scratching his head as he looked over Sherlock's statement. The detective was correcting a few officers and having a few words with "Randy".

"Sherlock. I know he can come up with information but the info from today... how did he get it? He said it was from his homeless network but I really don't think they had any part in this."

"Yeah, he did seem rather attached to his mobile though. Could he..?" John shook his head.

"He insisted it wasn't a girlfriend."

"So, who could it be?"

The two silenced. John cleared his throat and bounced on his heels, "I suppose he might have... found a new... partner."

"A new partner to solve crimes with? Sherlock?"

"I mean, he has been glued to his phone and since I'm spending less time with him because of Mary and the baby, he could have found a new assistant to take my place." John, naturally, hoped that this wasn't true. But he knew that Sherlock already had Bill Wiggins as a potential protege. This made the army doctor squirm for a second. What if he is replacing me with someone more clever?

"Would he actually replace you though? Just because you're going to be busier with your family?" Lestrade questioned, "Have you talked much about it with him?"

"Err, no. But I probably should."

Lestrade nodded, "Yeah, better to ask him what's been going on because he's been acting a little stranger for a while. Relative to his normal strangeness, of course." The two chuckled.

"Yeah. I can't get a straight answer out of him though. But maybe now I can."

"Worth a shot."

Sherlock had made sure to steer clear of Miss Button. He didn't want to risk too many clues slipping about A. So he had simply bid her a good evening and went about the usual business. He saw John and Lestrade conversing across the way and knew he was the topic. But he didn't mind them and continued until everything was in order. Finally he stepped aside to apprise A.

Thank you for reading!!