eye before the storm

Evan fidgeted his fingers into the sand as he rubbed his knee with the other. The sun was still shining but they both knew it would set soon but neither would get up. They both were thinking about it, calmly yet heartbroken on the inside.

"Evan?" Connor spoke.
"Yes?"
"How... How did we not see, see that he wasn't okay?" He started staring at Evan, glassy eyes like he was going to cry, eyes filled with so much emotion Evan couldn't look away once he gazed into them.
"Like, I can't rack my brain over that... He was healthy and happy and he went to all his classes fine, he seemed fine, he just acted fine.. But that day he was off and we didn't see that he wasn't... Fine."

Evan put his hand over Connors leg, reassuringly. "I don't think anyone could be prepared for that Connor. No one saw it coming, I don't think even Jared saw it coming." He said truthfully. Jared may act like an asshole and act fine when he's sad but if there was something wrong or concerning him deeply you could see it, he would change in his attitude and color wouldn't be the same. Jared is a loud orange, outgoing, eye catching and obnoxious, when sad or upset it would be dimmed down to a pale yellow at least, and he gets nervous and over thinks how Evan and Connor react. He puts them before himself. And when he's upset he's a fiery orange or at his most angry a light red bursting outward. But that day he was just fine and orange and himself, and no one saw it coming.

----
(Super short my bad)