Don't Kill The Children

••Andrea's POV

••
Andrea's POV

"Hurry up, Andy! We've literally got 30 smooth seconds to get everything loaded into the back of this Jeep!" Cindy called out over the sound of my loud ass blender.

"Mfuck." I sort of mumbled back. It came out sounding foreign even to myself.

I had just gotten my wisdom teeth pulled a few days ago and the dentists had said that I wouldn't be able to eat anything solid until the end of next week. Of course, just my luck, I had to do this stupid camp thing for my graduation that just so happened to fall a few days after my operation.

I knew this was God telling me to just repeat senior year.

"Just pack it up to go!" Cindy grumbled as she started throwing the kitchen appliance into my duffel bag. I was chugging down the remainder of my pizza smoothie like my life depended on it. It very well might of, who knew.

"Youknow I cwan't eat anythwing swolid, you asshole." I muttered in between gulps. This was my sanctuary. Here. Drinking blended pizza in the comfort of my own home. I'm sure most of you all are rested in your bed, tangled in a comforter, and trying not to gag at the visuals I just gave you.

Let me tell ya. Getting your wisdom teeth pulled changes a person.

My own comfort was quickly ripped out from beneath me when Cindy started dragging my body out through the door.

"Bitch, get in this damn vehicle. You may have 'walked' last week but let's not forget Zahn won't actually give you that diploma unless you go to camp." Cindy reminded me. I gave her an eye roll. "How the bloody hell did you forget you needed volunteer hours anyways?"

"It swipped my mwind." I mumbled in between groans. My currently iced cheeks were still puffed up from the surgery.

"Well you better put your game face on because we're meeting at the loading area in 20 minutes and let me tell you, 10 year olds can smell fear." I glanced at Cindy. There wasn't a shred of humor in her face and while I would never admit it...

That kind of frightened me.

-

"Well shwit." I mumbled.

Cindy had pulled both of us up into the parking lot of Jefferson Middle School and I'd never seen it so packed before. This was actually the middle school both Cindy and I attended when we were younger.

There was a whole entire line of busses organized along the entrance as we witnessed kids saying their final goodbyes to their mothers before boarding the busses.

The kids looked like they were spending the night at a friends. Their mothers looked like they were sending their 10 year olds off to war. I swear I saw a few moms break down.

"Just remember: smile and wave." Cindy repeated to me. She was acting as if I'd never been around children before.

In her defense though, I had never spoken highly of kids.

To be honest, I really hated the little shits. I could never wrap my head around the fact that some people really chose to have children. Then again, I couldn't wrap my head around accidental pregnancies either. I guess I thought that in today's age, one would be far more exposed to contraception and would hopefully chose to use it.

"Our bus is bus 3. It's filled with all the volunteers from Shorville, but some Applewood student will be on bus 2 towards Kuapua as well. I think that bus has already departed..." Cindy continued.

I won't lie to you.

This was when I zoned my home girl out.

I had a terrible habit of doing that to Cindy, but she always deemed it necessary to tell me the unimportant stuff. We all have that one friend. Loved her to death though.

"Welcome aboard!" Our bus driver smiled as both Cindy and I found our seats near the front of the bus. I recognized a few parent chaperones from around town, but not too many. Most of the parents preferred they sat by their kids on the other buses, so I was happy to sit by these few parents who really didn't feel like spending any more time with their kids than they had to.

This bus was filled with the parents who were drinking their spiked drinks out of water bottles.

Apart from the fact that they had children they had to tend for every day, I could totally relate.

Now let's delve into this camp thing. You're probably asking yourself, who still goes to summer camp?

Answer:

Basically the entire population of Shorville.

Don't be impressed or anything though, Shorville has like 30 people residing total. This was the whole reason I fought so hard to 'walk' at my ceremony even though I hadn't technically graduated... I couldn't be the only one besides smelly Pete who didn't receive their diploma on stage that day.

I'd. Rather. Die.

So now I'm here. On this overly congested bus wedged between miss Cindy Parker and our two big ass duffel bags that contained an unhealthy amount of snacks (the majority of which I wouldn't actually be able to eat until week two).

It would be about a three hour bus ride to lake Geneva which is where Camp Kuapua is located at. Cindy had already started in on one of her cozy mysteries while I, on the other hand, plugged in to listen to my favorite podcast, The Read. Nothing could make a three hour bus ride go as quickly as Chrissle and Kid Fury could.

Cindy tapped me on the shoulder gently which pulled me out of thought. "What's up?" I asked, popping an ear pod out.

"You're drooling." She stated matter of factly. My fingers reached up to feel the corner of my mouth which had saliva escaping from it. I'm sure at this exact moment, I had probably never looked more attractive than in my entire existence.

Cindy handed me a Kleenex to help with the drool and I thanked her gingerly.

I really needed this whole wisdom teeth bullshit to pass.

••