the bridge

"And... ten well that's the last of them"

You wiped the sweat from your brow after somehow managing to stuff the last of the petrol cans into your bag. It had taken a few trips but you had finally managed to gather them all without any difficulties.
Pulling your bag back on you buckled slightly under the weight before starting to make the final trudge back to the car.

A fat drop of rain hit your shoulder and you shuddered picking up the pace, The last thing you needed was to catch a cold.

You moved to cross the street when another crack of thunder along with a very familiar sound caused you to pause.

"Did I just hear that or am I imagining things?"

Seconds later you got your answer as a thick slimy tongue wrapped itself around your middle, pulling you violently upward.

You gasped in pain as you were slammed roughly into the brick wall. Craning your neck, you looked up to meet the sicking grin of the smoker that had you hanging from its tongue. Very pleased with its newfound meal It grabbed its tongue and very slowly but surely started to pull you up.

You struggled, wriggling and thrashing in constricting grip and attracting the attention of some of the slow witted common infected who were now snapping and snarling at your feet as you were pulled ever higher out of their reach.

All of a sudden the ground shook and a nearby puddle rippled with the vibrations as the dull thump of heavy footsteps got closer..... and closer....

Everything seemed to fall into slow motion after that.

As rounding the corner the massive mussel biceps of a tank came into view.

"uh oh"

It threw back its huge fists like an enraged gorilla, roaring in fury before slamming them down on the ground, cracking it open like an egg.

Some of the surrounding infected took notice and quickly fled the scene, having decided that one scrawny girl hanging from a smoker tongue was not worth getting squashed by a very angry tank.

You squirmed harder throwing yourself against the brick wall as you tried everything to make the smoker let go, but with the arrival of the tank he was pulling you up quicker than ever. Tanks were not exactly team players and wouldn't hesitate to attack one of their own if it meant killing a survivor.

A lone shot rang out and you fell to the ground finally being able to ride yourself of that horrible tongue.

And there stood Paul shotgun in hand. the last of the fading light bouncing off of his glasses, coat flapping in the non-existent breeze. Overall it looked like he just walked out of a Terminator movie.

Back at the car, Paul had been sick with worry, constantly breaking from his work to look towards the horizon expecting to see your form appear at any moment. But as the seconds ticked by he grew more and more anxious. Until a horrifying roar sounded in the distance making him immediately fear the worst.

Scrambling to your feet he grabbed your arm pushing you forward as you both raced for the car.

A dark shadow fell over you both and somehow Paul manage to pull you back just in the nick of time, as a giant piece of rubble that would have squashed you flat, landed in front of you, just scrapping the against tip your nose.

You took off running again. dodging the massive chunks of rock that fell down like hail, narrowly avoiding getting hit as the tank came charging after you bellowing in wild rage.

"YOU GET THE CAR STARTED AND MEET ME HALFWAY ILL HANDLE THE BRIDGE" you yelled already running for the control box. Paul didn't bother arguing instead shooting you a curt node before running to get the vehicle started.

The chain link fence rattled as you haled yourself across jumping down the rest of the way. You took the metal steps two at a time. Each step clunking violently with every foot you brought down. Slamming the door open you skidded into the room and shakily tipped the rest of the fuel into the generator. Tossing the can away you started flipping every random switch you could get your hands on, As all the while the shuddering footsteps of the tank got closer.

Finally You must have done something right as there was a loud clank and at last, the bridge jerkily lowered. Fist bumping the air you had very little time to celebrate as the roar of the tank sounded even closer. Dashing through the door and down the stairs again you latched onto the fence crawling up it like a spider monkey. Swinging yourself over you landed in a heap on the ground twisting your ankle painfully in the process. You screech as the pain shot through you but that didn't stop you from getting up and breaking into a mad sprint, adrenaline rushing through your veins.

The tank was now just a few feet behind you, pounding the ground as it got ready to chuck another chunk of the road at your fleeing form.

The car was already waiting across the halfway marker and you could see Paul leaning halfway out the window urging you on.

Just then the ground dropped a few feet leaving you to stumble as you tried to regain your balance.

Paul never did get round to testing how stable the bridge was.

And with a loud metal CREEEEK and horrible snap as your half of the bridge gave way and sent you plummeting 

DOWN...

Down   

Down

into the icy cold of the rushing river.