07 | A Taste of Madness

'Cause you make me feel, like I'm so alone...
I know it's not real, but it's in my soul...
And I just can try to face,
The dark inside my head...!

Mr. FEAR - SIAMÉS

* * *

May 14, 2020
Base: Poppyfields
08:55 PM

Back on the time-zone and on the secret base in Seattle, the preparation for celebrating Apple Martin's 16th birthday was neither strikingly fabulous nor awfully boring; to simplify, it was neatly simple upon the young doctor's request (and it's the same thing back on her two previous birthdays). Everyone was neatly dressed with casual attires aside from their custom uniforms of their teams -- both the A.L.I.E.N.S. and Eager Love Revenge.

The very birthday girl was only dressed in a blue-and-white plaid flannel with black pants and white sneakers, now tying her long hair in a ponytail and plugging some earphones connected to Mark's customized iPod and played it on shuffle. At the time she went downstairs from her room, she was hoisted up in a big hug by none other than Mark himself -- joyfully singing Happy Birthday to her as he made themselves twirl around and causing the girl to burst out laughs while pleading him to put her down. After a moment, finishing the song, Mark gently placed her down.

"Happy freaking birthday, Apple!" Mark, who wears his classic lucky flannel with black pants and shoes, cried out in joy, "You're going sixteen! My little doctor's a big girl now!!!"

"Mark...!" Apple blushed profusedly in utter embarassment, she swore she heard a certain Swedish man giggling, "Keep your voice down, you! God, you're such a big dumb dork..."

"Why, thank you App," Mark replied with a proud smile. "Though I usually called myself as a big giggly bitch-ass idiot, but that's fine."

Then he pulled her and wrapped his arms around her to another big hug which Apple returned it.

"One last hug..." said he with a warm smile.

"Whatever you say, dummy," she rolled her eyes with a smile back at the asian man. After a minute or so, they decided to walk around the base as they strike up a conversation throughout their little journey (and Chica joined the duo later on) as they meet and greet other people on the way.

There was Guy and Felix on the living room playing Super Smash Bros with the two pugs -- Edgar and Maya -- taking a nice rest on their laps, Rin and Len with their loveable mother Lara setting up the table at the dining area with them to get the food ready for dinner, Phil and Will are having a long talk with Gakupo and Meiko while Kaito was just beside them craving a small cup of vanilla ice cream, Miki and Gumi hanging out with Amy and Signe on the Weaponry Area (as the Danish woman was inspecting a certain bat on the working table *wink wink*), Jack and Sam taking a stroll around together as well with Gizmo, and finally Luka and Marzia taking their time to improve their aim more in the practice range somewhere in the base's Training Area.

Sadly, Miku hasn't arrived for her birthday yet; and Apple only let out a sigh as they reached the entrance of the Teleport Bay.

"Don't worry, App, I'm sure Miku will arrive in any moment," said Mark as he pat her shoulder. "She might be just getting herself ready for your Sweet Sixteen."

"I know... she contacted me about it a while ago... but it's not that..." Apple looked down a bit, "there are still a lot of people who were invited here on my birthay... yet I still feel that there's missing ever since the past three years... my dad, my mom, and Moses... even my friends too... I just miss them... so much..."