Scene 12: Ernest's Secret

Fritz, Abigail, and Emily continue walking through the jungle.

Fritz: Well, maybe you were right, Ernest. This is an island. There's no sign of other land anywhere.

Abigail: Do you think we'll ever get back to the mainland?

Fritz: Only if a ship passes by. Maybe we just need to keep a watch for ships and send up signals if we spot any.

Emily: I hope a ship will come soon.

Abigail: (Dramatically) The first thing I'm going to do when I get back to Switzerland is take a warm bath.

Emily: Oh, that would be nice...

Abigail: And then I'll go to a fancy dinner party with Johann.

Fritz: (To himself) That boy will be the death of me. Just too fancy and proper...

Emily: Oh, uh...

Abigail: (Ignoring him) And I'll wear a new pink dress with pearl buttons, and ruffles, and hoops...

Emily: Not hoops!

Fritz gives Emily a funny look. He thinks 'Ernest' is making fun of his sister.

Abigail: Well, they are rather irksome.

Emily: And sitting in them is just infuriating...

Abigail: I know, it's just so uncomfortable-

Fritz: (Accusing) How would you know about that?

Emily: Oh! (She covers her mouth, horrified at herself.) I, uh -

Fritz: (Threateningly advancing on her and tearing her hat off her head.) What's going on? And who do you think you are, talking to my sister like-

Abigail: Fritz, don't, she doesn't mean any harm...

Fritz: (still angry) Then why won't he - she - tell us anything about herself?

Emily: I -

Abigail: If I was lost, and two strangers found me, I wouldn't tell them anything. Especially if one of them was asking prying questions.

Emily: I just - wasn't sure if I could trust you.

Abigail: See? And now you're threatening her! What is she supposed to say?

Fritz: (Looking at Emily and calming down) I'm sorry, Ern - what is your real name?

Emily: It's Emily.

Fritz: Oh. Emily.

Slightly awkward moment :).

Abigail: Um, should we keep going?

Fritz: Oh, yes. We need to keep heading east, I think. The coastline is just up ahead.

Emily: This is where I landed. Close to that boulder on the beach.

Fritz: Did the pirates chase you after you got off the ship?

Emily: No, most of them stayed on board. They must have all thought it was haunted.

Fritz: Why did the ship land on the island, then?

Emily: I think the pirates were so busy fighting my grandfather's crew that they must have lost control of the boat. I don't know for sure, though. It was all mayhem up there.

Abigail: That must have been more frightening than the storm!

Emily: I don't know, that would have been a horrible storm on a ship! I was under my little shelter the whole time.

Fritz: Weren't you wet?

Emily: A little, but it was warm rain. The sounds were actually quite comforting...