Act 2 Scene 12: Altercations

(That evening)

Fritz: Why can't they understand that I have to make decisions for my life? And I won't just stand by while Mother acts like you aren't a part of this family! Why don't they -

Emily: Then - maybe we should just...leave?

Fritz: (Looks up) You mean... build a boat and sail away?

Emily: Well, yes.

Fritz: Do you think we could?

Emily: We have the tools now - it's been almost a year.

Fritz: (Thinking) It might be possible.

Emily: Or I could just leave.

Fritz: No! You don't have to do that!

Emily: Fritz, I'm not wanted here!

Fritz: (Takes her hands) Emily, I want you here!

Emily: You don't know how hard this year has been! I've tried so hard to find a place in your family, and it isn't there. I just don't belong! If I left, everything could go back to the way it used to be.

Fritz: No! Emily, I couldn't go on if you left. I don't want things the way they used to be! If you leave this island, I'm coming with you.

Jacqueline: (Who has just wandered close to the clearing with Fangs and heard ..."leave this island, I'm coming with you) Leave? They're going to leave the island? C'mon, Fangs.

Emily: Did you hear that?

Fritz: What?

Emily: I don't know. Never mind.

Fritz: It was probably just an animal or something. (Short pause)

Emily: How long do you think it would take? To...make the boat?

Fritz: A couple of weeks. And we'll need food, water, supplies...

(Back in the treehouse)

Elisabeth: (Shocked and angry) You're not serious, Jacqui!

Laurence: This isn't a joke, is it?

Elisabeth: (Mumbling a bit) Fritz and Emily...leaving!

Jacqueline: No, I'm not joking at all! I heard them! Talking about building a boat and just sailing away from here!

Fangs: (Angry) I can't believe it! (Musing) Wish I'd thought of it first though.

Jacqueline: Let's go, Fangs. Maybe we can find out more.

Elisabeth: (Up in the treehouse) I don't believe this. Fritz wouldn't...he can't do this!

Laurence: Elisabeth, he's got to grow up someday! After all, this year he'll be nineteen.

Elisabeth: But he can't just pick up and leave!

Laurence: I agree that I wouldn't want him to go without telling us. But it is his decision.

Elisabeth: Laurence, we're his parents!

Laurence: And we aren't very good ones if we don't allow our son the freedom he should have as an adult.

Elisabeth: Doesn't he care that he'd break my heart if he left?

Laurence: (Gently) Well, not to disappoint you, but I think it's Emily he's worried about right now.

Elisabeth: (Quietly furious) Of course, Emily. She's the one really breaking up this family.

Laurence: Lissie!