Scene 16: First Steps

Fritz is sitting up by the fire, but he doesn't look well.

Emily: (Feeling his forehead) How do you feel?

Fritz: I think we should keep going. Mother and Father are going to be worried.

Emily: They would be worried if they were here. You've got a fever, and that bite is swelling.

Abigail: If we could find some milkweed, it would keep the swelling down.

Fritz: (Trying to get up.) Maybe, if we keep going, we'll find some.

Emily: (With Abigail, helping him up) I suppose you'll be alright. How far do you think you can walk?

Fritz: As far as I need to.

Emily: (Uncertainly) Well, alright. Let's go.

They gather up the bags and, with Fritz between them, start again through the woods.

Fritz: (In pain) Sst! (He leans more heavily on the girls)

Abigail: Slowly...don't rush!

Emily: There! (She drops to her knees and starts picking some small green shoots.) Milkweed!

Fritz: Aah! (Collapses without Emily's support.)

Emily: (Turning) Oh! I'm sorry.

Abigail: Why don't we stop and rest while we crush the milkweed?

Fritz: (Weakly) We just started again. (Sits down by a tree.)

Emily: Obviously you need to rest some more.

Fritz starts shaking. They cover him with the blanket again, but it doesn't help.

Emily: Where's the other blanket?

Abigail: (Digging in the bags) Here.

Emily: Water?

Abigail: (Again digging) There.

Emily: And the gun?

Abigail: (Not thinking straight) What?!

Emily: We need to go find something to eat.

Abigail: Oh, yes.

Fritz: (Opening his eyes wider.) Be careful. We don't need another angry lizard.

Emily: (Smiles and exits)

Abigail: (Teasing) That wasn't very subtle, you know.

Fritz: Just pretends he doesn't hear her, but smiles when he turns his head.

Fangs in another part on the woods - he finds the cave the children stayed in.

Fangs: (Sniffing) They must have stayed here during that rainstorm. What's that smell? Another human is with them. Dune didn't mention another one. Perhaps they stumbled upon him - no, her - while they were traveling. (Sniffs again) They must have gone this way.

Emily reenters the clearing where Abigail and Fritz are, carrying a rabbit. The sun is lower.

Emily: (To Abigail) How is he?

Abigail: Sleeping. I gave him the milkweed. He hasn't stopped shaking, though.

Emily: (Placing the rabbit over the fire) I didn't think it would be this bad. It's probably because we didn't have any soap.

Abigail: He will be alright though?

Emily: I hope so. (There is silence for a bit.)

Abigail: You seem like a sister already, and I only met you two days ago.

Emily: Well, it's not every day your brother gets bitten by a giant lizard. (Pause) My mother always said that 'hard times bring people together.'

Abigail: I'm so glad we met you.

Emily: I'm glad I met you. It's so wonderful not to be alone.

Fritz: (stirs, sits up, and groans a little) Can we go on now?

Emily: After dinner. Or I suppose it's supper. We only have a few hours of daylight left.

Abigail: I think it's ready now. (She takes the rabbit off the spit)

Fritz: Where did you get a rabbit?

Abigail: Emily shot it.

Fritz: (impressed) Oh.

Emily: (talking quickly) It was standing still.

Fritz: (Laughing) Rabbits don't stand still...

Abigail: I'm going to go pick some more milkweed. It's over there?

Emily: Just between those two trees. I'll save some supper for you.

Fritz: (Waiting for Abigail to get out of earshot) Emily?

Emily: (Slicing the meat) Hmm?

Fritz: I, uh... I don't know where I'd be if we hadn't met you two days ago. Abigail... she reads a lot, and she knows a lot of things, but she wouldn't have known what to do...Emily? (Sits up)

Emily: Yes?

Fritz: Thank you. Thank you for saving my life.