chapter two | the one with the humiliation

C H A P T E R T W O

the one with
the humiliation

          Veronica woke up the next morning at the sight of Ethan in her room, checking the calendar he made her do so she could keep up with her classes

To say he wasn't happy about it would be an understatement.

"Oh, God..." Veronica grunted, grabbing the pillow and pressing it against her face. It was too damn early for this.

"Don't start with me." Scowled Ethan, ushering at the calendar. "What the hell is this?"

"A brick I'll smash against your head if you don't go away."

Ethan stood right next to her bed with the mug of hot coffee in his hand. "You have an exam tomorrow. I'm assuming you finished studying since you spent the entire evening with mom and dad?"

Veronica peeked at him with her eyes mi-closed, unable to open without blurry vision. "That coffee would look terrific all over your white shirt."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Ron, I'm sick of listening to you complain about your grades. Get. Up."

"It's an English exam. Fuck. Off."

"Alright. Enjoy failing your courses," he said as he left, leaving Veronica irritated with his constant need to be updated about her academic work. Ethan wasn't always pushy, but he'd been annoyed with Veronica's procrastination and nervous breakdown twenty hours before the exam - so to avoid it, he'd been biting her head with her lack of organization and her poor grades the previous semester. To be fair, her grades were okay, but not good enough, and she'd been asking for his help but regretted it the moment he got overbearing.

She stared at the clock: it was still seven.

"Ugh!" She groaned through her pillow, getting up the same time Danielle passed by her room.

"I know," the latter muttered, rubbing her eyes. Both made their way to the kitchen, finding Chloe already on her seat, fully dressed and halfway through finishing her toast while Ethan filled his second cup.

"... yeah, we offered. Turns out there's an available one at the end of the hallway." Ethan's blurred voice became clearer for both girls as they sat on the stool, mugs of coffee already in place, both with milk and sugar. It was rare moments like these where Chloe's endearing side would show.

"Same floor?" Chloe's eyebrows slid up, and Ethan nodded.

"Yup. He applied - I guess it'll work out just fine."

"So, what are you guys doing today?" Asked Danielle to start a fresh topic instead of catching up with the old one.

"Studying..." muttered Veronica, and Ethan gave her a tight smile. She shot him a glare. "Need I remind you, you left all of your exams till last minute, what's your excuse, hmm?"