chapter eight | the one with the offer

C H A P T E R E I G H T

the one with

the offer: pre-hell week day 5

            Danielle crouched by the window, gazing outside

Danielle crouched by the window, gazing outside. Their view was restricted by the building opposite of them, where she could see the different floors. They'd been keeping tabs like a bunch of stalkers on the Happy Family living right across from them. Today, the father had the canvas out and he was teaching the five-year-old twins how to paint, their mother walking in with a plate of cookies.

"I'm so jealous of those kids," She mumbled, going back to stare at the textbook before her, the colors trying to make it more enjoyable but failed.

She turned her head over to look at Chloe, she'd come here on her lunch break bringing takeout and waited for Danielle and Veronica to finish a chapter before they ate.

"You know, you've been really quiet this past couple of days," Danielle noted, going back to read but the lines were blurred by her thoughts. Chloe had her head dropped to look at her phone on the table. She peeked at Danielle through her lashes to shoot her a dark look, before focusing back on the screen.

"I'm used to you being a pain in my ass," Danielle tried again, waiting for a reaction. She frowned when she didn't get one. "Give me attention!"

Chloe clucked her tongue, shooting her head up in annoyance. "Do you want me to be a pain in your ass?"

Danielle blinked, considering it for a second, "Oh my God, you're right, what am I doing..."

The door opened and Veronica stepped in, inhaling the smell of food. "Mmm." She smiled. "God bless Chopsticks."

They had ordered sushi since they had all been craving. Both girls were surprised when Chloe paid the full bill without arguing. She'd usually complain that she wasn't their bank and ask for two-third of her money back.

"Happy family is painting today," Danielle stated bitterly and Veronica's jaw hung as a loud indignant squeal escaped her throat. She ran over to see, not bothering to be discreet about it as both her Danielle watched them like a hawk.

"Jesus, how dare they?" Veronica was acting dramatic.

"You think they can adopt me?" It would sound like a joke but Danielle was, on some level, being genuine.

"Did you finish your chapter?" Chloe cut them off robotically and Veronica rolled her eyes. She turned and opened her mouth to answer something witty. Chloe instantly caught it. "Answer the question."

Veronica frowned. "What crawled up your ass?" She walked over and tore the packages open.

Danielle stood and took a seat opposite her, mouth watering at the sight of the rolls. Each took a chopstick, Veronica using the manual one because she couldn't learn for the life of her how to use it without the plastic bind. They ate in silence, Chloe reaching for the bottle of wine and pouring a good amount. She drank half of it and paused.