chapter eighteen | the one with the news

disclaimer: chapter contains text messages so please make sure you have working wifi! also, gifs had to be screenshotted bc my life is sad, but they're popular gifs so you'd know what it is.

C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N

the one with
the news

the one withthe news

Ethan had been running for what felt like hours.

He had slowed his steps into a leisure stroll when snow feathered down the dark sky, pulling a frown to his face. He wasn't expecting it to snow when he put on a tracksuit in a whim and left; he wasn't even expecting to run at this time. He was used to morning runs, but lately, he'd been picking random hours to clear his head.

Pulling the hem of his jacket up to puff warm air on his skin, he jogged back to the Lodge. It was almost nine when he pushed on the heavy glassed door. He wiped the sheen of sweat covering his forehead with the back of his sleeve and unplugged his earphones from his ears.

"Oh, look..." Robin's chin jerked up, amusement trickling his senses and a smile pulling at his lips. He looked at Natasha who stood next to him behind the desk, stacking the papers neatly and moving the chair back. Her head snapped up as she lowered her body to sit. She momentarily stilled at the sight.

"Shit-" she hissed, sharply pushing the chair far back and crouching down instinctively.

Robin's brows shot up, watching her incredulously. "What are you doing?"

Her face turned red as it dawned on her she was acting like a helpless teenager. Her eyes widened as she looked up at him, her legs not cooperating. She looked down, feigning to look for a pen.

Robin shook his head and looked back at the sound of Ethan. "Hey, Robin." He beamed, a little breathless. Natasha wanted to bang her head against the wood, although a little thankful she couldn't see him because she knew him looking like that and smiling would throw her.

"Evening." He smiled, looking down the moment he was out of sight. "Is this what you kids do these days to get the other's attention?"

"I don't want to get his attention." Natasha scoffed, slowly standing when she checked the coast was clear.

"Why not? He's a decent guy."

Natasha fumbled with the chair, taking a seat, and clearing her throat. She could barely handle Ethan in a suit - him wearing track pants? It's got to be illegal.

"He's sleeping with half of Manhattan." She rolled her eyes, gut twisting as the words escaped her tongue. "So, don't get any ideas."

"Thought you two were friends."