chapter seventeen | the one with the awkward moment

C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

the one with
the awkward moment

the one withthe awkward moment

"So, how's your first Monday of freedom?" Chloe asked as she rested her chin on the palm of her hand, facing the girls while they stuffed their mouths with red pasta like two-year-olds.

"I'm going hunting all day," Danielle said with her mouth full and quickly caught a piece that slipped out of her tongue.

Chloe's top lip curled. "Classy."

"I don't even have much freedom. I have to complete an internship during the winter break. I applied at the vet clinic down the street."

"Don't you have a job at that coffee place?" Chloe frowned.

"I quit," she said with a mouthful again, gleaming in victory when her sister groaned in disgust.

Ethan was already pouring himself a second plate. "And Ronnie, you're applying for jobs now that you only have one semester left?"

Veronica's chewing slowed and she swallowed thickly. She hadn't mentioned the offer to Sanford, since she hadn't even mentioned applying or going through interviews - and Ethan would instantly catch that something was off.

She nonchalantly shrugged. "I applied to Sanford, actually, you think you could harass HR?"

Ethan frowned. "Didn't you tell me you didn't want software?"

"Well, there are other departments."

"Which position did you apply to?"

Veronica didn't bat an eyelash. "Assistant brand manager."

The moment Allen offered her the job; she'd googled everything she needed to know about the position. The information she got online was a little vague, so she went as far as telling Allen to email her what she would've studied for if she had an interview. She planned to review them in the winter break - the last thing she wanted was for people to know she got this position out of nepotism (1).

"Brand manager...? Marketing?" Ethan's brows pulled. "Didn't know you were into marketing."

"I only took a course, it was fun. But really, I just want to get started somewhere and then see how it goes."

Chloe's eyes rolled. "You can't wing it with everything, Veronica."

"Sure, I can. I went twenty-three years with that advice."

Chloe wanted to further argue but she shook her head, taking a sip of her drink instead. Ethan hummed as he put his mug down.

"Don't get discouraged if they didn't accept you, though. Took me more than a year to get a job there. Apply for other things, too."