chapter twenty-nine | the one with trouble sleeping

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - N I N E

the one with
trouble sleeping

The group was exhausted and each immediately went to their respective room the moment they arrived

The group was exhausted and each immediately went to their respective room the moment they arrived. Allen was seconds away from collapsing, his lack of sleep catching up to him, and overpowering his dread. Ethan already dozed off when he got inside the bedroom after brushing his teeth, and Allen took a discarded pillow from next to him so he could sleep on his side with two pillows behind him to prevent himself from sleeping on his back. It wasn't an effective method, but he was desperate to try.

Chloe unzipped her bag to change, blinking up at the sound of shifting by the door. Her body froze at the sight of Bilal standing by the doorway, a small smile on his lips. He had changed into a white Henley shirt and plain dark pants. She swallowed, tearing her eyes away from the cotton fabric hugging his chest and meeting his gaze.

"Hey," he mumbled, and she smiled, standing up straight. Her pulse took off at the thought he wanted to talk to her. Bilal wasn't much of a talker, and when he had something to say, it would usually be important.

Would it be about her phone call? About their situation (1)? Mona?

Bilal ushered behind her with a nod. "I just need a pillow from the closet."

Oh.

Chloe pressed her lips in a thin line. "Sure." She nodded, not sure whether she was relieved or irritated.

He nodded and walked past her to the closet while she stood near the foot of the bed, following him with her gaze. But then a thought popped inside her head and she took a quick look around the room while he took out a pillow and a light blanket. It was neat, ordered, minimal, neutral colors - which wasn't so different from his apartment.

Something clicked.

"Is this your room?" She gaped at him.

He hummed as he nodded, moving past her to leave. She was quick to catch his upper arm, pulling him back.

"Wait, wait. I'll move." She hurried to say, crouching down to zip her bag and hook it around her shoulder.

He frowned. "Why?"

She met his eye, holding herself tighter. "I'm not sleeping in your room." She shook her head, stating it like a fact but it made him cock his head in slight amusement.

"Why not?"

Chloe debated speaking but settled on a shrug, distracted by their proximity, her brain urging her to take a step closer while the rational side raised warning flags.